2.5 NAD army cooling. Better with the fan out? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 27th, 2015, 09:13 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
2.5 NAD army cooling. Better with the fan out?

Does yours do this?

So, trying to track down my ticking, and noticing that it happened more when warm.. i re-installed my fan and shroud. I was also worried about hitting traffic in 90 degree weather. Wanted to make sure it stayed cool for the summer.

The thing has been running right in the middle of the temp gauge with no fan at all. I put on the shroud and it runs a bit hotter. At least on the highway. When I get off the max throttle it drops down a needle width or 2. But not to the un-fanned condition.

This really blew my mind. The only way I can get the engine to fully open the thermostat (I put in a 190 or 185 trying to warm it up in winter) is to put the cooling system on it. All winter it was freezing cold with no fan or shroud and cardboard over most of the radiator.

This is the ARMY style cooling shroud. asbestos radiator shroud with connecting gaiter to the fan shroud. The fan clutch seems to be working just fine. Pretty small fan to radiator ratio.. but crazy that its better (cooled) without it... at least as long as I'm not idling for extended periods with a light tail wind.

Engine temps are confirmed with IR thermometer. The gauge is "accurate".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan