2.5 NA diesel - Fuel won't pump after changing fuel filter - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Ruedelesseps
Jon Atkinson
1985 110 MOD Pickup

Angry 2.5 NA diesel - Fuel won't pump after changing fuel filter

Hi,
I just followed the specs in the workshop manual to change to change the fuel filter in my 1985 2.5 NA diesel 110 (military spec), I am trying to bleed the fuel system and am unable to get fuel to pump using the manual lever on the side of the fuel pump. I have tried manually turning the engine, and filling the tank. I pulled the hose from the pump to the fuel filter off of the fuel filter to check flow and am still not getting anything. Went in for maintenance, rover was working fine when I started.

Also, in the process of trying to verify that there was fuel in the tank, I accidentally dropped a plastic cap about the size of a quarter into the fuel tank. This was pretty bone headed. I don't believe this is a cause because the fuel is was not pumping before this happened. Is this something that I need to be majorly concerned about? My work space is also not 100% level, but the tank os now about 1/3 -1/2 full which should compensate for that....?

Not having the best having the best day.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Disconnect the fuel solenoid wire at the injection pump. Disconnect the line into the fuel filter and crank the engine. Do you get fuel flow? If not the lift pump is dead. If it does pump, hook it back up and open the filter bleed. Crank again until you get a good flow and then the bleed at the injection pump.

Don't bother with the hand lever. It takes forever and these are a bitch to bleed.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:50 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Use thishttp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C59...110_SY165_QL70...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Disconnect the fuel solenoid wire at the injection pump. Disconnect the line into the fuel filter and crank the engine. Do you get fuel flow? If not the lift pump is dead. If it does pump, hook it back up and open the filter bleed. Crank again until you get a good flow and then the bleed at the injection pump.

Don't bother with the hand lever. It takes forever and these are a bitch to bleed.

After you have done the above, take off the bonnet then remove the radiator and all hoses then the motor/transmission/transferbox mounts. Next pull that lump of shit out of your truck and sell it for scrap. Final step is to install a 200Tdi, om617 or even some hamsters on crack and power steering and off you go, loving and driving your truck like you never thought possible.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, fuel