2.5 NA Diesel Air Filter Box weep oil? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2013, 06:55 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
2.5 NA Diesel Air Filter Box weep oil?

For the past couple weeks I noticed small amounts of oil dropping under the air filter housing. As I tore in to it yesterday to replace the filter and a hose, noticed there was a decent coating of oil in the bottom pan/support bracket.

As I read the Haynes, it references a (rubber) drip valve in the bottom of the air filter box.

It makes sense to me HOW the oil gets there, curious if this is normal (whatever normal is on these trucks!)

TIA

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:17 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Blow BY?

Josh:
When the 2.5 N/A cylinders and rings get worn, it causes blow by and depending on how your PCV setup is routed, it is possible to get oil vapors condensing in the air filter.
An easy check is to remove the oil filler when the engine is running and if significant pressure (all diesels will have some) comes out of the filler hole in the valve cover, there is a good chance you have excessive blow by.

I don't remember the exact routing of the 2.5 N/A breather setup, but it is possible to add an oil vapor blow by trap.

Someone with an original 2.5 N/A might be able to chime in here and provide the exact routing as I think there was an earlier model with a lower vent pipe that let vapors escape under the engine and a later type with a PCV setup.

Hope this helps or at least starts the discussion toward a solution to your issue...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:54 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
It's normal for this to occur. The breather on the early versions is routed to the air filter. You're going to get some oil accumulation there even if the engine is healthy. More if it isn't.

As noted above, later versions of the 2.5na (only exmod as far as I know) had a more sophisticated PCV system that included a vacuum port on the manifold, a pcv valve, a cyclone breather and a return to the oil pan. If you're interested in a diagram with part numbers, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
With the engine running pull the dipstick. Place your thumb lightly over the end of the tube. Rev the engine- if there is no perceptable pressure pushing on your thumb no worries. If there is, you have signifigant blow by.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:16 AM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

Big diesel trucks route the crank case breather to the atmosphere. Just run a fuel/oil compatible hose down to the frame and exit somewhere past the seat box to a catch can.
Old May 19th, 2013, 02:55 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Check this out!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover...item4843c49477

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover...item2ec145cb7e

Second one looks very much like a TDI unit, but first one looks more like it...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:44 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Attached is a diagram of the 2.5na diesel crankcase ventilation system for the later models.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCV 2.5na.pdf (428.6 KB, 252 views)
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Beaver87
Alistair Davidson
Ex MOD '86 90 12j

Smoke on warm up

Meatblanket,
Thanks for diagram. Looks just like my setup.
My truck has been smoking on warmup for about a year. For a while i thought it was unburned deisel as a result of block being a little cold and idle perhaps being a little rich.

From the reading ive been doing lately tho sounds like oil is getting into my intake manifold. I have carried out all the tests from this forum and no oil is spat out of filler cap when removed or the dipstick hole. My oil level is exactly where it should be and the air filter is clean. Once she is warmed up she runs great and doesnt smoke at all driving around town.
So three questions: 1 What is best way to fix problem? (Catchment tank sounds a little ghetto)
2 Why does it only happen on warm up?(i would think if oil is in the breather at idle it would be there while reving as well)
3 From the info provided above how serious do you think my case is?

Any info would be sweet
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Sounds like a normal amount of oil from the pcv system. I would stop worrying about it.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:42 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Sounds like a normal amount of oil from the pcv system. I would stop worrying about it.
X2.....
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Beaver87
Alistair Davidson
Ex MOD '86 90 12j

Ok. I took the breather most apart and seems to be clean as a whistle. Is there any method to my previous madness...the bluish smoke on warm up could be unburned deisel from combustion chambers being cold and idle mixture a little rich....?
Can't think how else it would be burning oil on start if not supplied by breather...so fuel is only other possibility...or am I missing something.
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:52 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Fuel is injected to a hotspot via an injector right where a spark plug would be in a gas engine. So in order to get some diesel in the air filter it would have to migrate from cylinder to the intake via an intake valve. Where it would somehow go across the air flow, back to the air filter..
Old December 9th, 2014, 10:39 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver87 View Post
Ok. I took the breather most apart and seems to be clean as a whistle. Is there any method to my previous madness...the bluish smoke on warm up could be unburned deisel from combustion chambers being cold and idle mixture a little rich....?
Can't think how else it would be burning oil on start if not supplied by breather...so fuel is only other possibility...or am I missing something.
Blueish smoke on start up is more likely valve stem seals past their sell by date.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Beaver87
Alistair Davidson
Ex MOD '86 90 12j

Yup, that sounds exactly my issue. From some reading around the net that fits exacty with valve stem seals.
If you got any advice past that would be much appreciated. Would like to re engine her at some stage but for now valve stem seals will probly stay the way they are.
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
Blueish smoke on start up is more likely valve stem seals past their sell by date.
Not on a diesel. It is simply unburnt fuel. Usually one of two cylinder not firing.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions