2.5 NA Critical Spares - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2013, 12:01 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

No one has mentioned lift pump failure. The truck will run on even ground but not a chance if you're going uphill. Cheap and easy spare part to have.

Why are some of you so afraid of the 2.5NA? Crossing a mountain pass in the middle of the night... already have a crate motor on hand... what has given you such cause for concern?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2013, 12:43 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

The engine sounds good to me... the noise in question sounds like something else, makes me think of the fan touching something.
Old April 27th, 2013, 04:16 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
No one has mentioned lift pump failure. The truck will run on even ground but not a chance if you're going uphill. Cheap and easy spare part to have.

Why are some of you so afraid of the 2.5NA? Crossing a mountain pass in the middle of the night... already have a crate motor on hand... what has given you such cause for concern?
I like the 2.5NA, it's a good engine, but like all things they have their limitations. They run pretty good at sea level but you lose roughly 3% of your power for every 1000 feet of elevation above sea level. The engine is rated at 68 hp. Take it to 11,000 feet and it just isn't enough to move a loaded 110 uphill at a reasonable speed. They will also over fuel at elevation, making them tend to run hot.

That said I bet the middle of the night run is a scheduling issue. And I also suspect his crate engine may not be naturally aspirated.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2013, 06:43 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I was checking my electricals today in preparation for redoing the battery box, starter, and ground cables. I noticed that there is a lead running from the alternator clockwise around the engine (presumably to avoid the hot exhaust manifold) back to the starter. It looks manky as hell where it runs across the passenger side of the block, so I decided that I'm going to replace it. I noticed that there is a little brown and yellow (or maybe green and yellow?) wire that runs from another post on the alternator back into the harness somewhere. I think that this runs to the charge warning indicator on the binnacle. Can anyone confirm?
Old April 30th, 2013, 07:03 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
You should find three wires to the alternator. Two will be all brown. They are the charge wires and will run to the starter. The third is a smaller gauge wire with a stripe, and yes that is the one that goes to your charge light.

I've got a wiring diagram I'll send to you.
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:06 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

So my alternator only has two wires, one to the starter and the striped wire to the binnacle. Confirmed the striped wire with your diagram, thanks for sending it.

You can see the ratty alternator lead coming in from the right of this photo:

The alternator:

Old April 30th, 2013, 08:10 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post

It looks like your engine was remanufactured for MOD. What's the date on that plate?
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:54 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Evidently the two small brown wires were replaced with one big red one. Perhaps that signifies an alternator upgrade from the standard 45 amp unit.
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:44 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
I will tag onto this spares thread.

In the last 4 weeks my wife has driven our 86 Ninety 2.5D N/A from Salt Lake City to Phoenix, to Lake City FL, to Danville IL, something over 2700 miles. This included a fair number of mountain passes.

Other than topping off the oil and antifreeze the only part she needed to buy was a new dipsitck tube.
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:33 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

So I've fallen in love with the 2.5 NA. The drive out to Utah was great. Going over Monarch was pretty crazy; the motor huffs and puffs and misses a lot at that altitude but it made it just fine. I was glad that I drove late at night, however, because I could only comfortably manage about 10 mph at the top of the pass.

I drove over 1,500 miles on this trip, most of them off-road, and the motor was rock-solid. I averaged 21 MPG and only had to fill the tank a couple of times. In fact, I drove to Montrose on half a tank, a drive that would have used a tank and a half on the old D90.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:21 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
I'm not ready to say I love the 2.5D but it has certainly earned my respect. After I find and install a 1.4 transfer case, I suspect my affection will grow.

Pulling a 6X12 trailer through the mountains with the 1.2 T-case was crazy slow but it did it.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
So I've fallen in love with the 2.5 NA. The drive out to Utah was great. Going over Monarch was pretty crazy; the motor huffs and puffs and misses a lot at that altitude but it made it just fine. I was glad that I drove late at night, however, because I could only comfortably manage about 10 mph at the top of the pass.

I drove over 1,500 miles on this trip, most of them off-road, and the motor was rock-solid. I averaged 21 MPG and only had to fill the tank a couple of times. In fact, I drove to Montrose on half a tank, a drive that would have used a tank and a half on the old D90.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
spare