2.5 NA Critical Spares - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Jim-ME
Jim Ecker
1964 Series 2/2a bitsa

I carry a fuel shutoff solenoid, a fan belt and tools.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
When I got my ExMoD 90 all the fluid levels were low and badly needed changing. So you might locate a shop close to what ever port your truck is coming in, and pre arrange changing out all the fluids and air filter and belt. I changed out my hoses as well. Plan on doing the same for the next truck.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:43 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

A couple of technical questions for y'all.

Where do your temperature gauges sit when you're running? Mine is sitting at around 60% and I don't know if that's normal operating temp or not. Need to put a new sender and some VDO love in this thing when I get home.

Who's a good source for early Defender parts? I need a new clutch MC and an ignition switch and new keys. I figured I'd hit up Tillery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:29 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
60% or even a bit higher is what mine would show on oil. Coolant temp usually lower than that.

Trevor White at www.rovahfarm.com has a good supply of spares in stock for these.
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:10 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Can one of you guys school me on the 2.5 NA dipstick? There are three marks. I think the top mark says DANGER HIGH or something like that. Where do you guys fill it to? The manual was a bit unclear on this and didn't have any photos.
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:03 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
High mark
Low mark
Minimum. mark

Should say H, L Min on the dipstick. Keep it right in the middle of H and L.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:01 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Guys, I have another question. As my trip progressed and I reached higher elevations, the clatter from my engine got much louder and the truck smoked more. Is this normal? It's quite loud now. It sounds like metal-banging-on-metal clatter.

I'm running Lucas fuel additive per the directions on the bottle.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:06 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Black smoke is normal as altitude increases due to lack of O2 with the non-turbo engine. Increased clatter is normal for winter diesel, I'm not sure that I've noticed increased clatter with altitude though.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:00 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Chris, I have a 2.5na as well and experience the same thing. I live in Virginia and recently took my 5 door 110 loaded with the wife, two boys, our dog and supplies for 4 days. We were packed. We climbed to 4500 ft several times over a 4 day span and it smoked and clapped. In fact I was concerned like you and was asking the same question.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:06 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdamage View Post
Black smoke is normal as altitude increases due to lack of O2 with the non-turbo engine. Increased clatter is normal for winter diesel, I'm not sure that I've noticed increased clatter with altitude though.
x2 on that. You may also notice that your oil temps will run hotter as you're now overfueling at altitude. If your truck is going to live at high altitude then you might want to make an adjustment.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:31 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
It sounds like metal-banging-on-metal clatter.
It might be worth posting a video or an audio file of the sound.

I can't think of a case where metal banging on metal clatter is normal for any engine.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:08 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Check the valve lash and the timing.

Make sure you are using decent diesel. Could you have gotten a bad batch?

I never recall any noise change with altitude. They obviously smoke more as there is no altitude compensation built into the fueling.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
FWIW, mine is louder too but commensurate with higher RPMs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:23 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

So here's a little recording of the noises.

The noise starts at around 0:11 and is apparent from 0:25 - 0:30. It sounds louder in person. The sound is like what you'd get if you took some random metal scraps in a coffee can and shook it quickly (low amplitude) back and forth.

Ignore the rattling at 0:32; that's the radio rack vibrating against the roll cage

On a side note, I'm planning on driving the truck to Utah in a few weeks. The route takes me over Monarch Pass at 11,300'. Have any of you driven a 2.5 NA over a pass like this? I don't have any sort of EGT on this truck; I just have the coolant temp with the annoying "factory stabilized" gauge that never moves a bit. I'm not sure how I should do the drive. Maybe drive a mile and pull over and let it idle for a few minutes before driving another mile?
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:29 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
It says the video is private.
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Chris, for some reason I can't get it to play on my end. Mine 2.5na does not sound as you just described so I don't want you to feel any undue comfort based on what I posted earlier re my noises.
Mine taps like these old diesels generally do. BTW, I had a Mercedes diesel mechanic nearby take look at her just for sanity and he said it sounds just fine. In any case, good luck with the trip to/from Utah and play safe.

Clay
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:35 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Ooops, try now:

http://youtu.be/_NjFa8ytswk

------ Follow up post added April 25th, 2013 02:39 PM ------

The noise is something that I've heard while riding in military HMMWVs; it just seems more pronounced in my truck. It's not a grinding metal-on-metal sounds...more like popcorn popping, if popcorn was made of steel.
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:54 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
On a side note, I'm planning on driving the truck to Utah in a few weeks. The route takes me over Monarch Pass at 11,300'. Have any of you driven a 2.5 NA over a pass like this? I don't have any sort of EGT on this truck; I just have the coolant temp with the annoying "factory stabilized" gauge that never moves a bit. I'm not sure how I should do the drive. Maybe drive a mile and pull over and let it idle for a few minutes before driving another mile?
I had mine over Monarch and many others around here. Expect it to run hotter than normal. It may come close, but should not extend into the "red" portion of the temp gauges. Oil is going to show hotter than coolant.

I flogged my 2.5na like a rented mule and it didn't complain much. You'll be using your flashers on Monarch. I-70 is actually worse due to the pace of the other traffic.

Pay attention to your brakes on the downhill as well. As you know the front discs are non-vented and having no throttle plate, the diesel doesn't really offer much resistance to the gears going downhill.

When descending, the engine will very quickly go from hot to cold, and once cold it might start kicking out white smoke on the downhill. You might be tempted then to pull it out of gear and coast to avoid creating these stinking clouds. Try to avoid that temptation. I've experienced some brake fade with mine.

Btw I listened to the audio and I couldn't really tell that it sounded abnormal. I say beat on it and if that causes it to die, then it wasn't meant to live. If it survives, your confidence in it will increase.

Mine did leave me dead on the road once, due to a seized alternator that I replaced in Monument Valley. Other than that it was reliable.

If the truck is going to stay in CO long term then I would suggest turning the "smoke screw" counterclockwise two full revolutions (that's counter-intuitive, I know), and also consider advancing your timing a bit.
Old April 25th, 2013, 07:01 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Thanks, Mike. That helps a lot. My oil temp gauge is flatlined and I need to trace the wiring to find out why.

I'm glad to hear that a 2.5 NA has made it over Monarch. My plan is to cross in the middle of the night when the roads are empty and just take it easy on both sides of the hill.

The good news is that I already have a new crate motor for it. I just need this motor to get me through the summer.
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:17 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
I know nothing of 2.5NAD's and that is an interesting noise. Sounds tinny, like fan shroud or similar. I am sure it is nothing that simple.

When you come out to Utah you coming to SLC? If so I would appreciate it if I could get a look at your truck. I was going to get one but decided to go another route.
Andrew
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
spare