2.5 110 engine died & stranded - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 21st, 2015, 04:30 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

2.5 110 engine died & stranded

Hi folks. My nephew and his wife are driving from Alberta to Ontario in an ex-military 110 with the non-turbo engine. They're pulling a car and trailer behind them. He said he was driving up a gentle hill with the throttle buried, going maybe 80kph. The truck started to lose power, and then stalled while he was pulling off the road. He can't get it restarted.

He says there was no smoking and no apparent overheating that he noticed. The engine turns over with the starter, but doesn't appear to even be sort of close to starting. He replaced the fuel filter but that hasn't helped.

I suggested to try pulling the fuel lines off the engine and see if there's fuel coming out when he cranks it over. Apparently the first line has fuel coming out, but the other three don't.

Does anyone have any suggestions I can pass on to them to diagnose the issue and get them on the road again?

Thanks a lot,
- Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2015, 05:29 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I'm on the phone with him now.
We're going through the fuel system.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 21st, 2015, 05:32 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
I'm on the phone with him now.
We're going through the fuel system.
Thanks again Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2015, 05:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Where exactly is the truck? We have people everywhere....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 21st, 2015, 05:37 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
pulling a loaded car trailer with a 2.5 natural ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 21st, 2015, 05:37 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Apparently they're just west of Sudbury. I just heard from my brother that they're getting it towed to a friend's shop in Sudbury. Since my nephew was conveniently towing a second vehicle, they'll drive that the rest of the way east and someone will go pick up the Land Rover later.

Probably with Rob's help, they've apparently identified the issue as a fuel blockage or pump issue.

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2015 05:40 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Haha, I don't think I knew anything about this plan until about an hour and a half ago when I got "the call". I knew they were coming east but that's about it.

It's trips like this that build memories. I'll bet they've had plenty of time at that speed to build a lot of memories.
Old May 21st, 2015, 05:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
AND 2000 miles across the prairies. Just put a brick on the pedal and have a nap.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 21st, 2015, 05:45 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

There is no fuel coming out of the lift pump.
He is going to install a 12V pump to provide fueling and you can replace the lift pump at a later date if it is the problem.
He did say that someone worked on a different "trash filter" back by the tank before the trip.
Think he was referring to a sedimenter.
I explained that there could be a suction leak letting air in that is preventing the fuel from reaching the engine, so he can try the 12V pump between the lift pump and filter and work his way back if no fuel comes out up front.
He has my number and will call back if he needs any more help.

Sorry you're having issues.
Our son went to start our V8 Disco up in NY earlier this week and it wouldn't start.
Turned out it ran fine after the sun came out and dried up the vehicle after a few days of rain.
I have to get rid of that V8 sometime soon and install a diesel.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old May 21st, 2015, 06:02 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Thanks again Rob I really appreciate your time and expertise, and I am sure my nephew does too. I'll do my best to update this post once he/we have this sorted out.

- Andrew.
Old May 21st, 2015, 06:08 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I have to admit that long distance diagnosis is not an exact science and communicating with 2 Andrew Clark's was a little confusing at first...
Glad to help!

Old May 21st, 2015, 06:27 PM
staufferdave6
dave stauffer
1986 110

Registry
pulling with a 2.5

Quote:
Come on Doug I use mine to pull a 23 ft boat all summer. I think iI remember pulling Quintons series 1 from Ottawa to Pa with my 59 5dr 2.25. Just can't go as fast as Robert but then again i think he is still cruising in a camry.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

My nephew went to a few different places around Sarnia looking for an electric fuel pump to plumb in. After going through the usual song and dance of trying to explain that the "year/make/model" computer drone process was a waste of time, he was unable to find one before it got late and shops were closing.

Since my brother knows a guy with a shop in Sarnia, they had the truck towed there and drove the rest of the way in their spare car. Someone will be up to Sarnia in a couple weeks anyway and they can bring the Land Rover back then.

This whole "spare car" thing is starting to seem like a good idea. Perhaps I'll start pulling one behind my Land Rover too.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:02 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
You can get one off of Amazon and overnight it, they're pretty cheap and universal I think.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:04 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnecc View Post
You can get one off of Amazon and overnight it, they're pretty cheap and universal I think.
Thanks. At this point though it will probably either be fixed properly at the shop in Sarnia, or towed back here and fixed properly once it gets here.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 04:09 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by staufferdave6 View Post
Just can't go as fast as Robert but then again i think he is still cruising in a camry.
110 blew a water hose, overheated, and now blows all the coolant out.
Am in the process of replacing the 110 engine and driving the 1993 Camary.
You're right Dave, after a 200TDI, the Camry seems like a race car.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:57 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

So is the injection pump act turning and not getting fuel out?
Old May 23rd, 2015, 04:53 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
AND 2000 miles across the prairies. Just put a brick on the pedal and have a nap.
Might not be fun, or fast, but its what they do. You ever see the army convoys? The trailer built to go behind the rover is probably over its recommended weight. Then they pile 10 loaded down blokes in it and just keep going. That said, everything has a breaking point and a point of worn out and done. This one sounds like it might be an unrelated to load failure..????

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, engine