2.25 Timing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 29th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
2.25 Timing

I have had a heck of a time getting this thing timed right. It's the 5 main bearing 2.25 diesel. I had my leaky injection pump rebuilt and when I got that back I tried and failed to get it back on correctly. Then I moved and didn't really have a good place for the truck so I took it to my local shop. After they had it for three months without doing any work on it I figured that I needed to give it another shot so I got it back this week.

I followed the procedure and used the timing tool to set the indicator then placed the pump at that location. It hardly had any power and smoked a lot. Then I started rotating it around to try to find a spot where it had reasonable power and less smoke. After many attempts I got it to a place where it was smoking less but still lacked power compared to before I took the pump off in the first place. Today I fiddled with it some more by rotating in small increments on either side of the previous position and I am still getting lots of smoke under acceleration and power doesn't feel right.

I haven't driven the truck since December except to and from the shop that didn't even touch it in three months. It's getting ridiculous. My rover luck has not been with me this year.

This might just be a rant but hopefully someone has some tips on how to help.

Thanks
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2013, 07:52 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Jeff:
Do you have all the air out of the fuel system?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 29th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Not 100% sure Robert. Someone told me at one point that these self bleed the air out. True or false?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:27 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

False...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
Not 100% sure Robert. Someone told me at one point that these self bleed the air out. True or false?
For the most part, false.
I guess it is possible to force all the air through the injectors, but it would take forever.
Again, get yourself a 12V electric fuel pump and mount it between the tank and the lift pump.

Then crack each injector while the engine is running to bleed the air out of each line.
Repeat until the engine has more power.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 29th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Forever, like driving it 12 miles to the shop? Or forever like I want this engine to go away forever and get a tdi in there?

I will mess with it tomorrow morning and report back.

Will air effect smoke or just power?
Old June 30th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Still no good. Bled and bled but couldn't get all the air out. I'll try to get a 12v pump to hook up and see if there is a leak somewhere. I might need a new lift pump? It has started to leak a little fuel but not much. Perhaps it is letting air into the system.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions