2.25 Petrol Replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

2.25 Petrol Replacement

So you can read the first half of this Rover's story here.

The second half of the story starts with me thanking Brewie212 profusely. He took a whole day off with me to drive out, pick up the Rover on his trailer, and drag it back to Raleigh, and I sincerely appreciate his time and effort in doing so.

The verdict on the barely-operative engine is that cylinders 3 and 4 have a 3/4" wide, 1/8" deep "valley" connecting them now, on top of predictably blowing their head gaskets and rattling around inside their cylinders, scoring up the sleeves.

This all seems to boil down to me having a very large, very useless lump of metal in the engine bay of my Rover.

So, with one's eye on fixing this Rover as cheaply as humanly possible*, what are the suggestions? A 2.5NA would apparently slide right in and be fairly affordable, while a 3.5L would be cheap in parts but a little more expensive in set-up. Any other earth-shattering ideas?

* - And by "as cheaply as humanly possible", I mean "I am selling this vehicle once it is moving under its own power again, have already invested far too much money in it, and want to minimize my losses as much as possible." Of course, if you want the rolling chassis to decide what engine goes in it yourself, I am open to that idea as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2013, 04:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Crap I remember that story. So did you get the transmission and drive it for a bit, or is this still the tail end of that saga?

Brewie212 is good people. If you had posted up 2 days earlier he could have brought you a 2.25 series engine (assuming it's compatible, at the very least as a long block) back from his recent trip to NOVA.

If you have a rebuilt transmission though I would recommend doing th encumbers and seeing if a 200tdi would sell for enough to cover the additional costs. Also consider selling it as-is. But my point is that if you go to the trouble of doing the work you might as well try increase it's value in the process.
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

It has a brand-spanking new (inasmuch as such things are "new") short-bellhousing R380 transmission directly from Ashcroft installed, and I was able to drive it for all of <100 miles before whatever catastrophic engine failure there was occurred.

Unfortunately, the shop the Rover is at was not able to take a serious look until this past week and specifically today, so no luck there .

And, yeah, that is kind of what I am trying to figure out - what will cost me the least, increase the value of the vehicle the most, and make it easiest to sell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2013, 04:36 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
If you have a rebuilt transmission though I would recommend doing th encumbers and seeing if a 200tdi would sell for enough to cover the additional costs. Also consider selling it as-is. But my point is that if you go to the trouble of doing the work you might as well try increase it's value in the process.
I've heard that the Tdi retrofit - even with the 200 - it a biatch with a Series, trying to fit in the intercooler/etc just takes too much finagling. I had planned to maybe do that with my Series rebuild, but was talked out of it several times by a few different people.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 14th, 2013, 04:54 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I would think anything that in the end made it sell faster and either didn't cost more in the end (or made you a little more) is the way to go. But if you are paying for the labor I think that's hard to achieve. Maybe post up some detailed photos of the truck and people can give their opinion. The condition of the rest of the truck would be a big factor in this.

Lav, it's a 90.
Old December 14th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

The truck pulled in under its own power, thinking it was a blown head gasket I was some what right. Except for the cavity that the warped head did to the block. I have spent a good bit of time on the truck and it is pretty clean from what I have seen from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3828574281.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	86067  
Old December 14th, 2013, 05:31 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I'm sorry that you are experiencing drama (I just came in after wrenching for a few hours to remove my LT230 and LT77 in the drenching rain).

I personally would just replace with the cheapest land rover 4-cylinder diesel you can find - 2.5d, 200tdi or 300tdi.

You spent good money on the R380, keep it.
Old December 14th, 2013, 06:09 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I've heard that the Tdi retrofit - even with the 200 - it a biatch with a Series, trying to fit in the intercooler/etc just takes too much finagling. I had planned to maybe do that with my Series rebuild, but was talked out of it several times by a few different people.
Skip the inter cooler lots of series trucks run 200tdi without them.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 14th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

I think he wants recommendations that will give him the biggest return when he goes to sell.
Old December 14th, 2013, 06:47 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
I think he want recommendations that will give him the biggest return when he goes to sell.
If that is the case then this:
Packard V-1650

Don't forget, one person wants a factory restoration and the next person wants a screaming hotrod. I ripped out my 2.5NA for a 200Tdi the second I had the loot to do it. I'm a big proponent of bigger is better but that is just me.
My dad and I argued for almost 30 years regarding a Ford Model "A" restoration that didn't ever happen. He wanted to wear a stupid flat cap and leather goggles and I wanted to wear a helmet.
Old December 14th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Thanks for the contribution Dave! I'm sure he will consider that. SMH
Old December 14th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

In fairness, it did make me laugh a little. I was thinking more along the lines of a Packard 3A-2500, but I have a soft spot for those.

For clarification, this is indeed a D90; sorry about the confusion. Having driven it, though, I can understand why Rover abandoned the 2.25 shortly after mine was produced.

Trust me, I plan on keeping the R380 - people generally seem to regard it as the better transmission, and there is no sense in ripping it back out again.

And, yeah, JavelinaDave had a 2.5NA, and a gentleman down in Wilmington has a 2.5NA (conveniently, Brewie is headed down there sometime soon), so procuring one of those will not be too bad. It is sounding like the engine is going to run me ~$800, and the labor to install it and flush the system to make it compatible with diesel. From what I have been able to discover, that will probably be the most affordable route out of this disaster, but I am trying to determine if it will be the most appealing route for potential buyers... assuming, as JavelinaDave notes, there is a single "most appealing route".
Old December 14th, 2013, 11:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Its not a series truck. Its a Ninety.

-Jeff
Yeah my bad....whenever I see "2.25 litre petrol" my brain automatically goes to Series.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac