2.25 diesel running rough, from bad to worse - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
2.25 diesel running rough, from bad to worse

I wrote this about a month ago on another post when I first had my issue of the truck feeling underpowered:

"It has been fussy on starting up in the am lately and suddenly the idle has dropped to where unless it's completely warmed up it wants to stall. Last night it was really bad. I had to heel-toe it at stop lights and even cornering to avoid cutting out completely because the idle was sooo low. I adjusted the idle today but overall the engine feels really odd. When I mash the gas at a standstill the engine takes a long time to rev up, and under acceleration it shimmys a bit. The exaust and the intake sound choppy like it's only breathing every other stroke. I'm thinking air and or fuel flow could be my problem."

Today I finally changed the fuel filter and followed the procedure to bleed the air out of the line. I tried to start it up and it wouldn't go. I tried bleeding more air and got some more, but still no start. Then I attempted the full bleed procedure as outlined in the manual by loosening the bolt (picture attached) on the pump assembly but no air or fuel came out, maybe a few drops of fuel indicating that it isn't completely clogged, but nothing like when I was bleeding the fuel filter. Still won't start.

Am I missing something silly or should I just try harder.

As always, thank you for any input.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-01-15 at 1.41.00 PM.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	34791   Click image for larger version

Name:	injectorpump.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	34792  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Try using a vacuum pump to bring the fuel up. Don't recall now whether or not you said you checked the lines from the tank were clear. Is there a shutoff solenoid on those or is it pull to stop like the old Series LR 2.25?
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Crack open the last injector ( before the return line) and crank the starter till solid fuel sprays out. Tighten the injector and try again.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Crack each of lines to the injectors - one at a time. It bleeds air and let's you know fuel is getting to the injectors. Possible issues - injectors may need rebuilding, injection pump may need to be checked, mechanical fuel pump may need to be replaced, etc. But check simple (cheap) stuff first - fuel lines, filters, connections.
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
If you bleed the thing and after a little while you bleed it again and some air comes out you might have a problem with your fuel line. Once bleed it not suppose to have air anymore.. I would check all line first. Is the pick up pipe picking up air?
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

i have a sweet 2.5 turbo diesel with only 9,000 miles on it for you at a reasonable price, it came out of a 1989 camel trophy 110, parts are engine, turbo, and radiator let me know if interested!!!
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis
i have a sweet 2.5 turbo diesel with only 9,000 miles on it for you at a reasonable price, it came out of a 1989 camel trophy 110, parts are engine, turbo, and radiator let me know if interested!!!
You're doing the 200tdi conversion, right? Love your truck. Welcome to the board!
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:21 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You're doing the 200tdi conversion, right? Love your truck. Welcome to the board!
Yup that's me, how'd you hear about that??
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There's not many camel trophy trucks around. I just remember the whole Netherlands museum story, and what would be planned for it. quite the example you have on your hands...keep us updated!
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

absolutely, should be back from the shop with it's new engine and a/c by the end of january, next is putting in the floor (farmtek) for the roof rack and then slapping on the cb and deciding how to handle a radio for music. i was either going to go basic radio with iphone connector since i never listen to the radio or cd's or go with a rugged radio's system of headsets so i could talk to my passengers and listen to music without having to yell. decisions decisions
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I might have to check all the lines. Before I even swapped fuel filters I loosened the banjo bolt on top of the fuel filter and got a little bit of air out. That might be my whole issue as to why it started to run rough.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel