19J upgrades - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Raquen
Matthew
none

19J upgrades

I saw this posted somewhere else so I decided to give it a try.
I have been looking into options to enhance my venerable 19J. Or at least find tricks to eack out some long lost stock performance.

One user showed off some picks where he has removed the stock intake hoses that closely resemble a 1940's hoover or Kirby vacuum hoses with modern aluminum and Silicon piping.

I followed the example (see attached) and added a breather to help with the crank case burping of oil onto the air filter.

Now I have been been looking into why my rover is slower then a 1100 cc 1960 bug and until late no luck.
Today I found that after I installed the modern piping I immediately felt a noticeable increase in responsiveness when I stepped on the pedal. Now this is not muscle car pick up, just a little extra umph. I tested free way speeds and found that my top speed was 5 mph higher and I had less trouble with climbing hills. This had to be due to turbulence and cold air. When I say turbulence my intake hose looked like my 2 years coloring book. That hose didn't even hold a shape that a resembled a cylinder.

This lead to a conversation with a friend and we finally tested the boost pressure leading to the waste gate actuator and the injector pump.
2 bs of pressure!!!

so, am i looking at a worn out turbo compressor?
should I just get this rebuilt?

or is there something we are over looking?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3581.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	149014

Name:	IMG_3585.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	149015

Name:	IMG_3584.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	149016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

should be up close to 10. Is your wastegate stuck open?
Old May 9th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Cold be the waste gate or not enough fueling. After checking the waste gate check the boost diaphragm on the injection pump.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2016, 09:31 AM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Boost diaphragm....I had only 83K on the clock and found that mine had a tear...started to push fuel up to the turbo (real bad)...replaced it and was like a totally different truck...Hills were no problem...very driveable....I was thinking of also removing the stock filter and just putting a filter cone on and also using a breather oil collection tank....the diaphragm is a very cheap part...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old May 9th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Raquen
Matthew
none

So the wastegate is not stuck open. We disconnected and tested the actuator, it feels good. Its just not getting enough boost to ever open it. We tested the pressure before the actuator and at best 2 lbs. We plugged the hose that ran to the boost diaphragm to isolate pressure to the wastegates, no difference. We tested pressure on the hose down to the boost diaphragm still only 2 lbs. even if the diaphragm was shot we still should be seeing increased pressure closer to seth compressor correct? I have a new boost diaphragm ready to install, I we were just trying to gauge the current boost.

Tested play in the compressor. The fan/impeller has about 1 mm play in all directions. It seems to me that the compressor is only producing 2 lbs at peak. We also double checked hoses on the intake side, all fitting tight no leaks.

If the diaphragm is shot would I be seeing that much of a decrease in over all pressure? And if that was the case wouldn't I be getting back pressure at my tank cap? (which I am not).

Thanks again!
Old May 9th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
try taking off that old corrugated hose going into the air filter and drive it like that. It looks like that hose is collapsing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old May 9th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The wastegate could be leaking at well. Does it feel like it is closing nice and firmly against a clean seat?

If the turbo is spinning freely and not hitting the housing, it is doubtful that the turbo is the problem. The side to side play with these plain bearing turbos is quite high and seems large by feel even new. You need to check with a dial indicator to really know if it is okay. Bearing wear is more a concern with the seals being damaged than the turbo not producing boost.

You need the adequate fueling to to produce boost. Change the diaphragm first and see what happens. Do you have any visible smoke on full throttle? Your off boost fueling may not be high enough.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 9th, 2016, 11:24 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Is the wastegate plate even there? Rusted out?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old May 9th, 2016, 11:50 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
if the diaphragm at the injection pump is defective, a few issues will arise each of them of equal concern.
most case scenario would be a runaway engine.

the diaphragm is suposed to receive positive air pressure from turbo as turbo spools up...this pushes plunger and allows more fuel to injectors thus requiring more air to keep a stoichiometric mix at all times.
if the diaphragm is ruptured then this air line becomes a fuel line feeding fuel to the turbo.
the last 19j on which i worked had suffered this fate and I found nearly 40 ounces of raw fuel in the intake chambers of the manifold and turbo, this in turn washed the turbo bearings and caused premature wear of the turbo. among symptom of this particular vehicle we had oil consumption, oil out of exhaust pipe, lack of power and engine run on after shutt off when driven.
that is you drove on highway or highway speeds (would struggle to maintain 50 mph) and then shut down engine, it would continue to run for some 10 to 20 minutes at bought idle as it was sucking in the combustion the fuel having been deposited in intake by ruptured diaphragm.

the solution was to renew turbo, rebuild injection pump, clean and dry intake chambers and of course oil change.
at new start up I ran engine at 2000 rpm for about an hr in order to clear as much unburnt oil and fuel from engine and exhaust system.
subsequent road test this thing was able to reach 70 mph and hold it with about 7 to 8 lbs of boost.

heck you could hear the turbo spool and woosh after repairs...

check all o those components carefully... good luck.

btw the 19j uses the old CAV infection pump...totally different than the bosh ip
Old May 9th, 2016, 01:34 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

I recently discovered that the boost pipe from the turbo to the injection pump had a crack in it, right at the connection to the IP. I had previously removed it to test that it was clear, but this didn't reveal the crack since the end was removed from the IP at the time. The truck was noticeably slower before I fixed it (as you would expect). Sounds like you've looked at the boost pipe already, but thought it was worth mentioning.
Old May 9th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Raquen
Matthew
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
I recently discovered that the boost pipe from the turbo to the injection pump had a crack in it, right at the connection to the IP. I had previously removed it to test that it was clear, but this didn't reveal the crack since the end was removed from the IP at the time. The truck was noticeably slower before I fixed it (as you would expect). Sounds like you've looked at the boost pipe already, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Did you notice a hiss or was it just random while inspecting the hose? I am planning on putting in the new boost diaphragm but I would like to source new vacuum hoses because I don't trust the existing ones will last.
Old May 10th, 2016, 12:47 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

I had removed the cover from the IP to make adjustments and I left the boost pipe connected. When I set it to the side I noticed it was kinked a little. There was some oily residue there that confirmed it had been cracked but I hadn't been looking for a failure there. It was cracked on the underside so not easily visible. Easy to inspect quickly and see if you have a problem tho.
Old May 13th, 2016, 02:24 AM
Raquen
Matthew
none

I replaced the boost diaphragm, it was simpler then I though. The existing one looked new with no tears or holes. I did a water test, nothing past through. I did notice the new diaphragm has the pin protruding more then the installed done. So hoping the new one was pre-set correctly and the last one was off, I switched.

Its hard to gauge the results. I installed seth new air intake pipes and saw a noticeable improvement, I did;t drive it too much though. This time I still could see th extra performance and freeway top speed, but I am not sure if this was seth same from seth intake change or a cumulative effect from both.

I will need to test the boost on a gauge again to be sure.

Next steps (assuming the boost issue is resolved) is to install the water to air intercooler and re-route the boost hoses to the boost diaphragm & wastegate to feed off the intake manifold rather then the compressor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions