19J pressure buildup - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 14th, 2014, 06:35 AM
grapplerdan
Dan
1989 110 CSW 200TDi--now with 19J

Thanks for the input. I'll check the injector pump, as that was my initial thought.

Unfortunately, I can't get it back to the UK to have them fix it, as I am stuck in Germany waiting for orders to move a the end of the month. I will try taking the original head to a machine shop to have it machined, new hotspots put in.

Hopefully, adjusting the injector pump will clear it up.

Dan
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature..., without it, the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness.
Joseph Addison (1672 - 1719)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapplerdan View Post
Thanks for the input. I'll check the injector pump, as that was my initial thought.

Unfortunately, I can't get it back to the UK to have them fix it, as I am stuck in Germany waiting for orders to move a the end of the month. I will try taking the original head to a machine shop to have it machined, new hotspots put in.

Hopefully, adjusting the injector pump will clear it up.

Dan
I wouldn't bother doing anything/waste any more money with that old head other than melt it down for use as a boat anchor.
When I said timing I meant the crank, cam, and injection pump aren't in time, ie something was allowed to move while you had it apart. The fact that its off so far its making a strange sound isn't good.
Pretty sure you are off by two or more teeth with your timing belt, what you describe is unburnt fuel, the fact that it will only run @ higher rpm again is because the injectors are firing either too early or too late. Lock the crank, lock the injection pump and see if the cam gear lines up. I'll bet one or more is off by a couple of teeth.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:39 AM
grapplerdan
Dan
1989 110 CSW 200TDi--now with 19J

Woohoo!!! After much praying and begging advice, I lucked out. I only had to reset the valve clearance, then burped the fuel line and made sure injector #1 was set. Then she started up, minimal smoke. Took her for a test drive and all is well: no overheating, no pressure build up, nothing.

Just got my orders and have 2-weeks to clear. Going to clean her out and ship her. Hopefully, the govt will pay for it, but I have heard nightmares from everyone regarding the new shipping contractor the military is using. She may be too rusty for them and I may have to ship her out of pocket.

Thanks for everyone's help and support.

Dan
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature..., without it, the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness.
Joseph Addison (1672 - 1719)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions