19J hard cold start (Fuel in Turbo Vac line) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 27th, 2015, 05:20 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
19J hard cold start (Fuel in Turbo Vac line)

The past few weeks as the weather has been colder, it has become much harder to start (it used to start right up with very little glow)....sometimes it takes 6 or so tried to get it to catch...

Checked the glows, all fine but noticed fuel in the vacuum line going from the turbo to the fuel distributor (translucent tube in right hand part of picture)....drained it....got it to start but still took several attempts...when it was running noticed two lines from the fuel filter were dripping and very loose...tightened them both up....

I am thinking that i was sucking air into the system or pressure was not being maintained....not sure about the fuel in the vacuum line...

Engine is now warm so will have to check in the am to see if anything helped....Thoughts?

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151027_161832.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	133297  

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Where does the other end of the translucent tube go? Pic please. If its coming off the injector pump it is not vacuum. Vacuum pump is where the distributor would be in a petrol lump.
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 27th, 2015, 07:04 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
From the injector pump to the side of the turbo where I read boost...see the brass T fitting...the hose at the 6 o'clock position goes down to the injector pump...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150501_180955.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	133305  

2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2015, 08:22 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
You are opening the possibilities of a run away engine.. Long story short you have a cav injection pump, the line you describe receives boost signal from turbo and enriches the fuel.
The internal diaphragm has failed thus it pushes fuel out the line.
This fills the turbo, turbo pushes fuel into air chamber and can lead to run away... Once this condition starts. You will be lucky to stop engine with out serious damage. Quite often a run away is a doomed engine.
This excess fuel can damage turbo bearings thus causing turbo damage.
The proper way to repair this is to have the pump overhauled, check and address turbo failure if it has occurred, remove intake manifold and empty of puddled fuel before starting.
The water pump must come off in order to remove front cover to access removal of injection pump, consider replacing wp, thermostat, timing belt and tensioner since all of that must come off any way.
Depending on your mechanic you may be looking at a 2 to 4 thousand dollar bill.
Parts alone will be around 2500 if you need turbo too.
Look into a month or so waiting on parts from the UK.
Good luck.
Old October 27th, 2015, 08:37 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Carlos...Can that diaphragm be replaced while still in the vehicle or the whole unit has to come out? I thought there was one of the diaphragms that could be replaced while still in place....

This is the first time I have seen fuel in that line...so I doubt the turbo has seen any damage as of yet...

2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old October 27th, 2015, 08:56 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Just found a nice write up on replacing the turbo boost diaphragm....a little tricky but fairly straight forward while in the vehicle...

Replacing 2.5TD boost Diaphram - Land Rover Technical Archive - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum

2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:26 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by icnsltmfg View Post
Carlos...Can that diaphragm be replaced while still in the vehicle or the whole unit has to come out? I thought there was one of the diaphragms that could be replaced while still in place....

This is the first time I have seen fuel in that line...so I doubt the turbo has seen any damage as of yet...
When it comes to diesel injection pumps I send it to a local shop, I don't do more than install or set timing.. Fooling with more than adjustments can be bad news..a little too much gap makes a world of difference...your pump is at least 20 yrs old, have a pro take a good look at it...just my. 02.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, fuel, start