19j 2.5l td Boost Diaphragm - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 25th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Oasisplayer311
Eric Hayes
2003 D2

19j 2.5l td Boost Diaphragm

Hey guys!

Just picked up a stock 1989 2.5td in Arizona and driving it back to Tennessee (crazy I know) everything's been going great except the gas tank becoming pressurized and loosing power.

I'm suspecting it's the Boost Diaphragm in the fuel pump.

Does anyone happen to know the part # for it?

I found a Delphi part #7243-006 and a super ceded part #7135-277

Would these work?

Thanks!
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2016, 05:38 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Hi, Eric-

I just replaced the boost diaphragm in my 2.5TD for similar issues. Only instead of the turbo boost pressure bleeding through and pressuring the fuel tank as you report, mine was allowing fuel to flow through the boost line the other way into the turbo cool side and then into the intake manifold. Under power, it would bog a little, and then knock and ping like crazy under heavier load.

After several days of troubleshooting prior to figuring it out, I eventually had a 8-10 second diesel runaway after turning off the ignition as the truck rapidly burned off the diesel that had pooled in the intake. This also likely wiped the bearings in the turbo, blowing oil through the hot side.

The truck had a newly built/remanufactured engine as part of my purchase, and the seller is a super stand-up guy and is replacing the new, four-month-old (less than 150 mile) turbo for me. When I swapped out the boost diaphragm it was pretty clear that it had been pinched when the injection pump had been assembled and eventually developed two large holes.

The Delphi replacement diaphragm part # is 7243-006, and it's worth you also reading the following post if you haven't already: Replacing 2.5TD boost Diaphragm - Land Rover Technical Archive - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum .

If you have the ability to wait a bit for it for shipping from the UK, by far the best price I found for the was here: http://www.delphipartsstore.co.uk/fu...iaphragm_3.htm. They were really quick, though. I think about a week from time of order via USPS/Royal Mail.

I guess many diesel shops and tractor repair-type places may or may not stock them here in the U.S., but I just played the hermit and searched the web.

If you're stuck somewhere in immediate need, contact me and I can try to get one to you. I bought a spare for myself.

If you start having any knocking or pinging like I did, you need to stop until you get this fixed and potentially do some serious damage.

Murph

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Oasisplayer311
Eric Hayes
2003 D2

So got a new Diaphragm in from Delphi, there is a overhaul kit you can get in the states and I have the part #, just not on me. Easy repair that I was able to do in a parking lot here in Flagstaff on our way back to Chattanooga, TN.

As you can see from the pic, it obviously was busted, I will update you with the part # when I get the shipping bag back in my hands!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3031029085.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	492.3 KB
ID:	154718  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2016, 12:10 AM
tacthomas
Jesse
'89 RHD 110

Registry
Eric - where did you purchase from? Thanks
Old July 29th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Oasisplayer311
Eric Hayes
2003 D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacthomas View Post
Eric - where did you purchase from? Thanks
Got it from Diesel Services, INC in Grand Junction CO. I just went to Delphi website and searched for distributors closest to me. They popped up and I gave them a call.

The new part # is 7135-277F, it's an overhaul kit. It is still cheaper to get it from the UK, but if you need one quick, use that part #
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:19 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasisplayer311 View Post
So got a new Diaphragm in from Delphi, there is a overhaul kit you can get in the states and I have the part #, just not on me. Easy repair that I was able to do in a parking lot here in Flagstaff on our way back to Chattanooga, TN.

As you can see from the pic, it obviously was busted, I will update you with the part # when I get the shipping bag back in my hands!
I bought one of those new years ago and when it arrived it had been taken out of a vacuum sealed card and some knucklehead had stapled it to the card right through the side of the diaphragm.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions