1997 Sporadic Idle / Stall issue - fixed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 7th, 2012, 12:47 AM
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6
1997 Sporadic Idle / Stall issue - fixed

I've been chasing a hard-to-reproduce erratic idle / stalling issue.

Never cut out when cold, only after it got warm from a short-trip and started up again. Would often just start then when I took my foot off gas to shift out of park (97), idle would drop, gasp for air and die. Happened often coming to a stop at a light.

Sometimes would happen for days in a row, then nothing for a week. Sometimes died at 20 mph when I took my foot of the gas.

Tried the usual suspects, new Stepper, new VSS, new TPS etc.

Turned out to be a really easy fix in the end. Replaced both the hoses shown in green in the image. I believe the primary culprit was the one that runs from near the oil filler cap to the plenum (on right in picture), it was lined with thick oily gunk. Flushing it made a considerable difference - replacing it solved the problem all together.

Been running great for a month now with no dips in idle or stalls in sight. Fingers crossed.

(Picture is a GEMS sample I found online - not my actual engine - obviously )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoses.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	48659  

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Andrew Dance
1994 D-90 ST
Might want to check your throttle body too. If there's that much gunk in the hose then some of it will have gotten into the throttle body and butterfly assembly?

Old March 7th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4
My driver's side tube had a super small crack in it and did the exact same thing. Huge PITA to figure out, but a 13 dollar fix in the end.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

1997, 97, idle