1997 Radio Antenna Removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2003, 09:27 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

1997 Radio Antenna Removal

Hi all, to install wing top protectors need to remove and refit the radio antenna. Does the unit unscrew from around the top and pull up or does it somehow release from inside the wing itself?

Also, to mount my bonnet spare mount should I remove the bonnet or drill in place?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2003, 09:48 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Remove the bonnet, it's a really easy thing to do. I can't even imgine how much more difficult it would be had I not done that.

The whole antenna unit comes straight out of the hole. Just by unscrewing the two screws on the top mounting plate, if I remember correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 19th, 2003, 04:22 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Thanks David. Remove the bonnet by unscrewing the hinge plates in the bonnet itself or what? The roll cage bar along the bottom of the windshield seems to get in the way... Help please.
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2003, 05:14 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

Go to the bar.
Old December 19th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Rn to take the hood off just undo the pin that holds the prop on the hood and lift the hood up very high. You should be able to lift it right out of the hinge plates.
Old December 20th, 2003, 12:41 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Thanks, I'll give that a try...!
Old February 10th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

ok, once the antenna unit is out of the hole, how do u get just the silver oem antenna out so i can replace it?? thx
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

Kind of a necro post I know! but i am going to be installing wing top protectors soon. and I will need to remove the antenna also.

So are you telling me I have to take the hood off to get the antenna off so I can install the wing tops?

also when you cut the hole for the antenna, what did you use and did you make the whole big enough for the mount or just put the antenna mount on top of the wing top or recess it?

I could use some pics of what its suppose to look like.

Jason
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:42 AM
ajtbussen
A J Bussen
1997 D-90 ST

I just cut a hole large enough for the base of the antenna. Then mounted the protectors. No need to remove and then replace it.

AJ
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

AJ got any pics of the install.

I am curious how the factory did it. I want to keep the truck looking correct.

Jason
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM
ajtbussen
A J Bussen
1997 D-90 ST

Wink

I will take some pics and post them, but I'm getting ready for the National Rally and leaving Thursday. I should be able to have something up this weekend. I basically marked where the center of the antenna should be on the protector by placing some dye on the tip of the antenna while it is in the down position. Then placing the protector in it's position marking the underside with the center point for my drill. Then I used a 1 5/8th" hole saw and very carefully cut it out. I measured many times befor I cut just to make sure.

AJ
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

Never mind I should learn to read
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

You don't.
Its easier to do if its off, but not required. Just depends how much you want to bend your body around.
You can also buy the LR diamond plate wing guards and you don't have to remove the hood or the antenna to install those as they have a larger hole so the antenna just stays in place.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Rn to take the hood off just undo the pin that holds the prop on the hood and lift the hood up very high. You should be able to lift it right out of the hinge plates.
Jason, Don't forget on the NAS cars you have to take the front roll bar cross brace off in order to lift the hood high enough to come off. In Euro Defenders you just do what Mike has listed above.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1997, 97, radio