1997 Land Rover Defender 90 NAS v8 Automatic Experience / Problems - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:51 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
It is fine for Canada and the thread starter is Canadian. Seems like a perfect choice for a Canadian. You don't pay the US price, own it for 8 years, and all of a sudden you have a US importable NAS spec truck and the not US importable discount evaporates.
Agreed. It's probably one of the cheapest 1997 NAS-spec Defender 90s you'll find, and because it's not US importable you'll pay far less for it than you would for most comparable ones that are here in the US. Sure you could try to find one yourself in Japan or Dubai, but as I said earlier in the thread, there are FAR more NAS examples here in the US, and most of the ones that were sent to Japan or the UAE have since been imported back to the US (if within the correct VIN range) or elsewhere. So basically, they're slim pickin's outside of the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:52 PM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
He had/has 3, all almost identical. - I would recommend speaking with the buyers of the other trucks before sending any money (I asked this question and was rebuffed).
Old March 6th, 2014, 02:18 AM
skygrip
Claude
110 CSW 1991

Registry
I know a Mecanic in Montreal, Joseph Sfeir, Land Rover Auto Power, is in West Montreal.

He Is amasing, he work around Defender for more than 20 years,
he have Land rover Disco, Defender, Series, Is my Mecanic for the past 2 year

it show me so many suff that was bad on my truck , from the guys that have built my truck.
that he as have done wrong.

I Recomand him, I personaly call him Saint-Joseph because he always have good answer and is very good,

Joseph Sfeir
Auto Power (514)923-5693

Claude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Kobzya
Anton
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygrip View Post
I know a Mecanic in Montreal, Joseph Sfeir, Land Rover Auto Power, is in West Montreal.

He Is amasing, he work around Defender for more than 20 years,
he have Land rover Disco, Defender, Series, Is my Mecanic for the past 2 year

it show me so many suff that was bad on my truck , from the guys that have built my truck.
that he as have done wrong.

I Recomand him, I personaly call him Saint-Joseph because he always have good answer and is very good,

Joseph Sfeir
Auto Power (514)923-5693

Claude
Thanks a lot! I will reach out to him to see if I can get him to take a look at it! Much appreciated!

------ Follow up post added March 6th, 2014 09:12 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish4 View Post
He had/has 3, all almost identical. - I would recommend speaking with the buyers of the other trucks before sending any money (I asked this question and was rebuffed).
Finally cracked him (thanks to all of your help guys, so thank you!)

He did fess up that the truck is from Japan, told me he bought in bulk (over 20 of these, all identical) and is slowly trying to sell them off....
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:30 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
God I'd love to know where they found 20 of them. That's insane. Unless he's telling a white lie.
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Very hard to keep cars on the road in Japan. Annual inspections are brutal.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Kobzya
Anton
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
God I'd love to know where they found 20 of them. That's insane. Unless he's telling a white lie.
I asked him for the import papers - he is going to black out the price he paid and his source (to prevent me from cutting him out I'm assuming), so we will see where this ends up...
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:54 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
the same way ron in FL did. except Ron found 100 of them [not sure of the number i am guessing]
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:03 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
the same way ron in FL did. except Ron found 100 of them [not sure of the number i am guessing]
Who is Ron in FL? he found 100ish all at one time? Geez. It's just hard to fathom that there could be 20 identical white Japanese NAS trucks in Japan sitting in one location after 17 years that none of us knew about!
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:07 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
the dude ronnie springer that brought all the Jap Spec trucks to begin with!!! =) did you bump your head last weekend?

you know the dude that had to start painting them orange and odd colors to make them blend in.

he was in wellington / del ray or something like that. autosport [of florida]
he had blue, white, red, some green.
Old March 10th, 2014, 04:46 AM
landrovermanuk
John Lindsay
1986 Land Rover 90, 3.9Efi

Registry
Seeing that a lot of Japanese cars end up in Australia and NZ, it may be worth looking out there.
John

Land Rover owners like it rough and dirty...
Old March 12th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Kobzya
Anton
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovermanuk View Post
Seeing that a lot of Japanese cars end up in Australia and NZ, it may be worth looking out there.
John
Yeah, I am actually exploring the option of trying to import straight from Japan. Apparently it is super hard to keep cars on the road there and used cars generally have really good service history as they get inspected every 2 years...
Old March 12th, 2014, 04:02 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Cool. If you find one that can be imported to the US, let me know before anyone else, OK?
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:44 PM
Kobzya
Anton
None

Guys,

I found a 1997 Defender 90, but it has the following things that were replaced on it:

- Water pump
- Fan belt
- Intake manifold gasket
- Plugs
- Head gasket
- Thermostat
- Oil pan gasket
All replaced in 2014 May

Now my understanding is that the motor most likely overheated, blew up and all of the above-mentioned were replaced. The guy fixed it and now wants to sell it. Are those things a common occurrence and are commonly replaced on these trucks (in which case I shouldn't worry and buy it) or should I stay away since this happened? If the engine did overheat, is it highly possible that there are other things with it that may have been damaged in the process?

Other than that the truck is great and has no rust - and the seats were recently relined in black leather....

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Anton
Old June 24th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Kobzya
Anton
None

Anyone?! I would really appreciate any of your help!
Old June 24th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Dumping that load of cash then dumping the truck so quickly raises suspicions.
Have a compression test done.
I'm afraid the engine may be toast.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 24th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

These engines will overheat if not maintained. It's a crapshoot...the engine maybe just fine.
The worst is if if overheated to the point where the steel cylinder liner slipped.
If the price is right and the truck is in great shape, no rust, no corrosion, I wouldn't worry about it. Although I would take it to a competent mechanic and have them look over engine.

These trucks are sensitive...keep an eye on the coolant level.
The problem is people drive them and neglect maintaining them, letting the coolant and oil levels get low, then it's down hill from there.
With proper maintainence, it will give you years of fun.

Happy shopping!

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 27th, 2014, 12:31 AM
svxaddict
Defend Nature
coming soon

Check this one out in the classifieds. Shipping from Van adds about $1200
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=604541769
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:13 AM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobzya View Post
... do you think I will run into a lot of problems maintaining it? Anyone here own the same spec as an every day vehicle and willing to share their experience or problems with the car, if any? What are the typical problems or breakdowns you have experienced?
Back to your original question maintenance etc. Just to give you some hard data on costs...

I have a 97 NAS - daily driver. I bought it about 3 1/2 yrs ago. Never had a breakdown yet. Well, unless you count the time that the fuel tank gasket blew and leaked the stuff going down the filler hose all over the floor. Or maybe you'd nit pick the times it would cut out idling to a stop due to a bad stepper motor... but in general it's been relatively bomber.

I tracked all the repair/maintenance costs spent by me, and also going through previous owners receipts back to 2006. Not to wig you out too much - (wanted to offer one perspective)... over those 8 years, the truck has had about $29k of work done. Plenty of big upgrades in there though - like $8700 for a 4.6 engine upgrade. Two sets of tires and other nice-to-have upgrades. You can see the spreadsheet here: http://goo.gl/3dN107 - feel free to peek at it and get an idea of types of things you might have to pay for over time. Of course, you'll save a ton doing your own work.
Old July 4th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Kobzya
Anton
None

Thanks for the responses guys, I decided to stay away following your advice.

Brettm, thanks so much for that breakdown, really helpful!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1997, 90, 97, defender, defender 90, land rover, land rover defender, nas, problems, v8