1997 Defender Issue...Need some advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:01 AM
NDRover
Mark Adamson
1997 D90

1997 Defender Issue...Need some advice

Good Morning! I have a 1997 Defender 90 that has right around 55K on it. About a month ago, it started making a "popping" sound when we would accelerate. It was almost like making popcorn. Took it to a service garage that works on Rovers and thought that it needed new heads. Decided against doing it because #1-expense, and #2-seemed unusual for this at 55K. Had the oil changed and added a can of J&B to the crankcase and the popping noise left, however now there is a "tick" when we drive it. Also noticed that the oil light comes on when we start it and also when we're at a stop. Goes away when we're driving it however. Runs just fine so I am puzzled. Suggestions? I've heard that using a heavier weighted oil might work, etc. Thanks! Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

With a Rover that old with so few miles on it I would think that the oil at some point just sat in there and has probably clogged up some passages. Even thou you have changed the oil...it won't unclog these ports or oil pick-up. Start with the cheapest and easiest first. Drop the oil pan and clean it along with the pick-up screen/tube. The ticking you are hearing is most likely the lifters not getting sufficient lubrication. This cleaning of the pan/pick-up tube should be done about every 100k but in your case it hasn't been done since it was new. Make sure you are using a good filter and oil and take it for a nice long drive(45min-hour) to get everything loosened up and flowing again and then bring it back and drop the oil out of it to get the sludge out before it settles again. Good luck.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
NDRover
Mark Adamson
1997 D90

Thanks for the suggestion. I've ordered the screen, and when it gets here I'll change it. If anyone else has an idea, I'd be thankful for it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I've had good luck with the "Motor Flush" stuff. It is available at NAPA or the like. You pour it in with your oil and let the engine run for a little bit, even drive it around for a little while, make sure the engine gets up to temp etc. and then drain the oil and refill with straight oil. It does a pretty good job of breaking up the sludge. Ideally you would do as Jake suggested first, then the motor flush, then drop the pan again before refilling with new oil, but that may be more work than you want to do.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I would think Oil Pickup as well. Mine did this once because the pickup had come loose. Maybe try some SeaFoam in the crankcase.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
NDRover
Mark Adamson
1997 D90

Do you think it came loose because of the oil change? Just curious. I really appreciate your guys' input. Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526 View Post
I would think Oil Pickup as well. Mine did this once because the pickup had come loose. Maybe try some SeaFoam in the crankcase.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRover View Post
Do you think it came loose because of the oil change? Just curious. I really appreciate your guys' input. Mark
I had an oil change and then not long after I started to get a flickering oil light. Brought it back to the shop and they told me the oil pickup had come loose. No idea how that even happened. My truck probably only had somewhere in the 30K mile range. Maybe switch to Mobil 1 0W-40. Synthetic is supposed to have more detergents so that may help. I'm switching at my next oil change.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:04 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Good Morning! I have a 1997 Defender 90 that has right around 55K on it. About a month ago, it started making a "popping" sound when we would accelerate. It was almost like making popcorn. Took it to a service garage that works on Rovers and thought that it needed new heads. Decided against doing it because #1-expense, and #2-seemed unusual for this at 55K. Had the oil changed and added a can of J&B to the crankcase and the popping noise left, however now there is a "tick" when we drive it. Also noticed that the oil light comes on when we start it and also when we're at a stop. Goes away when we're driving it however. Runs just fine so I am puzzled. Suggestions? I've heard that using a heavier weighted oil might work, etc. Thanks! Mark
A popping sound under accelation is usually pre-detonation or improper timing/fuel mix.
If the shop thought it needed a new top end, they must have had some reason unless they are totally incompetent. What did they tell you?
Who changed the oil ? Filter as well? What is J&B ( I hope not scotch)
What rpm does the truck idle at when the oil light comes on?
Before you start adding mystery oils to your engine I would recommend getting an actual oil pressure test done.
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:51 AM
NDRover
Mark Adamson
1997 D90

The popping noise is now gone after I added some LR Fuel Conditioner. Oil change and checking the tube/screen is on the docket next and then we'll see how it's going. Atlantic British (where I ordered my oil filters) told me to use 15/40 oil this time so I'll try that. Oil pressure has not been tested yet, so that is also on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
A popping sound under accelation is usually pre-detonation or improper timing/fuel mix.
If the shop thought it needed a new top end, they must have had some reason unless they are totally incompetent. What did they tell you?
Who changed the oil ? Filter as well? What is J&B ( I hope not scotch)
What rpm does the truck idle at when the oil light comes on?
Before you start adding mystery oils to your engine I would recommend getting an actual oil pressure test done.
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:09 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Rotella 15/40 is what I would use, Royal Purple is also very good oil... Why not just by a good filter locally, like the k&n?

Old April 24th, 2011, 10:37 AM
NDRover
Mark Adamson
1997 D90

I picked up a few other things from them and they were on sale (cheaper than what I cn get them for locally). I'm going to put Rotella oil in this time and see what happens. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Rotella 15/40 is what I would use, Royal Purple is also very good oil... Why not just by a good filter locally, like the k&n?
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:49 AM
kevkon
kevin

If you don't have an oil pressure gauge, now's a good time to install one. Remember that oil pressure readings whether by gauge or warning light indicate the pressure , not the flow. That's why a lighter weight oil will read a bit lower. What you have to be concerned about is a lack of flow through the engine and a dramatic decrease in pressure will indicate that.
I'm just not a fan of any of the additives as they often have some undesirable side effects. I know some swear by them, but it's a good idea to check the actual ingredients first.
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:36 PM
NDRover
Mark Adamson
1997 D90

Thanks for the information. I am not a mechanic by any means and what you have told me makes perfect sense and I appreciate it. Picked up my Rotella 15/40 today and am just waiting for my filter/screen to arrive and I'll see what happens. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
If you don't have an oil pressure gauge, now's a good time to install one. Remember that oil pressure readings whether by gauge or warning light indicate the pressure , not the flow. That's why a lighter weight oil will read a bit lower. What you have to be concerned about is a lack of flow through the engine and a dramatic decrease in pressure will indicate that.
I'm just not a fan of any of the additives as they often have some undesirable side effects. I know some swear by them, but it's a good idea to check the actual ingredients first.
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:44 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
At the worst, it sounds like you may have experienced a low oil condition and you mangled a bearing somewhere in your engine. How's your idle and power? Does it click/tap when revving or under load?

Not sure how adding anything to the crankase would stop detonaton. In fact, I would never, ever add anything to the crankcase other than oil. Moving to a lighter weight oil would seem to be a bad idea if your oil light is on. Oil film pressure at the bearings needs to be at a level that the engine is designed for. Using Honda 0w20-style cooking oil, for example, would destroy most older car engins in short order.
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:56 AM
NDRover
Mark Adamson
1997 D90

Idle and power are good. I should have clarified why I put J&B in the crankcase in my original post...I spoke to a service technician at the Land Rover dealership in Golden Valley, MN, and he said to try that first. I personally don't have the guts to do something like that unless someone like that tells me too. Fired it up yesterday, no more oil light and the ticking has gone down considerably. I'm still putting the Rotella 15/40 in it when I get my filter and screen this week so maybe I dodged a major fix...maybe not. Thanks again for all your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
At the worst, it sounds like you may have experienced a low oil condition and you mangled a bearing somewhere in your engine. How's your idle and power? Does it click/tap when revving or under load?

Not sure how adding anything to the crankase would stop detonaton. In fact, I would never, ever add anything to the crankcase other than oil. Moving to a lighter weight oil would seem to be a bad idea if your oil light is on. Oil film pressure at the bearings needs to be at a level that the engine is designed for. Using Honda 0w20-style cooking oil, for example, would destroy most older car engins in short order.
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:09 PM
NDRover
Mark Adamson
1997 D90

UPDATE: Changed oil pickup tube, put new oil pan gasket in, and changed oil (put Rotella 15-40 in). Ran it a bit and lifter noise is still present. Idle speed is around 800rpm and drives fine. Oil light still comes on at idle and goes off at acceleration. Any suggestions for next step? Some have said get it out on the road a bit and really get that oil through the engine for sufficient lubrication. Thanks again for any help provided. Mark
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Quote:
I picked up a few other things from them and they were on sale (cheaper than what I cn get them for locally). I'm going to put Rotella oil in this time and see what happens. Thanks.
I have been running Rotella T for years with no problems. I have always thought I would like synthetic oil but when I tried running Mobil 1 .Between oil change the engine lost one quart never had that happen with Rotella T
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
kevkon
kevin

Try a new oil pressure sender / check the connections at the sender/ replace all with a new oil pressure gauge and sender
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:23 PM
NDRover
Mark Adamson
1997 D90

UPDATE #2....Still have noise however my brother-in-law has a Check Engine tester and it reads that it is misfiring. Any suggestions on where to start? Wires, plugs, etc? Thanks.
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:46 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
When was the last time these were serviced? What fuel do you use? I thought the 97 4.0s had the updated valves etc. Seafoam and flog it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1997, 97