1997 D90 Low RPM Idle Shutdown - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 8th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Christocat
Chris & Rachael
1997 Land Rover Defender LE 116

Registry
1997 D90 Low RPM Idle Shutdown

After Running through multiple threads on the Idle Air Control Valve threads most are '94-95 based, Thought I'd have a '97 thread.

Mileage: 110300.9
Faults Currently: Code P0420 (sometimes P0430)- Yes I need to replace the CATS.

Starting RPM most the time is 800, sometimes 1000. 90 runs fine for about an hour or so then at stop lights... drops below 500 and if I dont catch it with some gas- stalls. Sometimes the RPM is slow to come down from 1000-1200 RPM at stoplights. I imagine the IACV is sticking.

The Workshop manual says Low/High RPM at Idle is due to a possible failure- And will show up as a fault- P0506 or P0507. Have not had these show up...yet.

Read through multiple threads- I checked the hoses, Cleaned the MAF, and now I plan on pulling the IACV in accordance with Service Repair No. 19.22.54 in the 1997 Manual. I read in other threads that if you pull it you need to recalibrate the IACV...or is it if you replace it too (which is questionable cuz some people do and some don't calibrate it)? Is there anything 1997 unique that i'm missing. Thanks for your time and help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:11 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Doubts about the iacv being your issue. There's just too much bs on this forum and others about how these engines work, and the junk mail begins to become gospel.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 9th, 2016, 04:16 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
IME these suckers are like a long linked chain. I'd suggest you Fix the cats and everything else you can identify. Otherwise you will be chasing ghosts. Unfortunately it's the price we pay for having a more modern fuel system. But I will say mine has been extremely reliable and has never once left me stranded. Daily driver for 12 years, 120k miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Vunkle
Virgil Broussard
1997 defender 90

I know that it sounds strange, but when my 97 has these issues, I disconnect the battery for a few minutes and all is well.
Old July 31st, 2016, 08:45 PM
Christocat
Chris & Rachael
1997 Land Rover Defender LE 116

Registry
Still on the quest to find my low RPM shutdown. Since my last post I have replaced my CATS and no longer run any codes.
My new path in trial and error is the TPS.
I bought TPS a few months back. Removed the TPS IAW Service Repair No. 19.22.49. Easy. Start the Car and YES! No low rpm shutdown.... BUT Now The RPM sits at 2000 Idle. I haven't found anything for a 97 Defender on TPS adjustment (or much on the 4.0 Disco) Other than for the 95 90's, initial voltage checks or using the multitude of rover scanners to reset the ECU.
So the Question now is...
1) Can I fix it myself without fancy scanners/cables ?
2) Fix it myself but have to buy all the fancy scanners/cables ?
3) Take the 90 in to get reset and Zero the TPS ?
4) Install a 300 TDI
Thanks for the halp
Old August 1st, 2016, 06:14 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
IMO you should consider a trip to a good indie shop that has a proper rover gauge that can read whats going on.

If you have prior experience with tdi's and long for that set-up then don't hold back. If not, you should make sure a tdi is going to tick off all your wants in a power plant. They are on opposite ends of the spectrum IMO. Both bring different skills and values to the table so to speak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:12 PM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

I have a 97 NAS and had the same issue. Check the speed sensor. There's a thread about this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old August 6th, 2016, 11:02 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 2-carb'd V8 4-speed 110 LHD SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vunkle View Post
I know that it sounds strange, but when my 97 has these issues, I disconnect the battery for a few minutes and all is well.
Not so strange - a battery disconnect resets the computer.

------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2016 09:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christocat View Post
I read in other threads that if you pull it you need to recalibrate the IACV...
Some guys in other threads here are adamant re the necessity to perform a computer reset (via the aforementioned battery disconnect) if you have disconnected the IACV...

Anyone know exactly what it means to recalibrate a IACV? - same thing as a computer reset???
Old August 7th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Anyone know exactly what it means to recalibrate a IACV? - same thing as a computer reset???[/QUOTE]

You can reset all the adaptives with Testbook, Rovercom, Autologic but that still doesn't put your IACV in the correct place especially if you or others have had their hands in the motor replacing parts. That stepper has 180 steps to it and you want it somewhere around 20. Rule of thumb if you don't have anyway to see the steps then you close down your base idle screw shut and then back it out 1.5 turns and that should put you pretty close to 20. This is strictly for GEMS…14CUX is different. Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1997, 1997 d90, 97, 97 d90, iacv, idle, low rpm