1997 AC issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 9th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

1997 AC issues

Any of you guys do any repair work to the AC? I took the truck up to get the AC charged after the rebuild and it was working fine for like a day then now blowing hot.

They put a dye in it and checked it yesterday and found no leaks.

So they think it is the expansion valve. The only thing I found while searching was a really old thread about where to find the valve.

They also said there was water dripping inside the cabin. It seems to be coming from a different place than the drain hose. They think it could be a cracked evaporator, which I doubt hopefully, or a bad evaporator case seal.

I am not very knowledgeable about AC's so I am learning. Any advice? Where to buy a new expansion valve and evaporator case seal?

Where to start I guess?

Thanks

Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2013, 08:06 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post

They also said there was water dripping inside the cabin. It seems to be coming from a different place than the drain hose. They think it could be a cracked evaporator, which I doubt hopefully, or a bad evaporator case seal.

Really? I wonder what sort of project it is to fix that. (I have the same problem...)
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:53 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Have you guys resolved this yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Finally got it all fixed just a day ago. What a mess that was.

I learned a lot but man it sucked.

Turns out when I took it apart 6 years ago I never covered the lines with tape and crap got in there and plugged the expansion valve. So we decided to put in a new expansion valve and drier. Easier said than done. The expansion valve was not bad but you had to remove the evaporator to do it. That was the hardest part. Trying to get the large diameter line to break loose took the mechanic 4 hours of time to not succeed and then my dad and his buddy all day to finally get it free. It is where the copper line meets the aluminum line. Totally seized. But they got it. Out comes the entire unit from under the dash. Once the evaporator was out of the case we could see where the water leak was coming from. There is a glob of silicone just inside where the drain hose hooks on. It was peeling up thus allowing water to get past it and leak onto the foot well. Plus I think the plastic was cracked around the drain hole as well. A little epoxy and more silicone and we are good to go.

Then came the most rediculous part of the entire thing. The drier. Turns out replacement driers are easy to find but the thread where the pressure switch screws into the drier is now 3/8-24 but the thread on the switch is M10 1.5. there is a new switch available but it is $400. Unreal. So after buying two driers, one of which was from a Land Rover aftermarket parts retailer we had to end up fabricating a custom adapter to be able to use the original switch. I called the company up and asked about the issue and while very nice about it they had no clue. They said no one had ever returned one they bought or called with a complaint. I found that hard to believe. So not sure what was up with mine. But it is all factory.

Anyway, made that adapter and got it all up and running finally. Only to now have 75 degree weather and not need it.

Here is a photo of the adapter we made. We took a 3/8-24 brake line fastener and welded a jam nut onto it. Then took an M10 flange nut and welded the brake line fastener to that. Viola! Perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	77249   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	77250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	77251  
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
What a PITA!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1997, ac