1997 A/C relay clicking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:36 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

1997 A/C relay clicking

So about 2 weeks ago I had intermittent clicking from the a/c relays located in the passenger footwell on the side of the a/c unit. I tracked it down to being the one closest to the firewall. I replaced it with a new one but the clicking came back. So I thought maybe they are all tied together and replaced the other two. The problem still persists. Can anyone shed some light as to what is causing the relay the intermittently click - and its not just one click here and there. Its about 10 in a row then goes away, comes back clicking 10 more times etc....The a/c is used daily and this is a new problem for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2013, 07:42 AM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

So the problem continues. This time when I shut off the a/c the clicking continued at a declined rate for about 3-4 minutes, then went away. The a/c is working fine but clearly there is something wrong somewhere. And I'd like to fix it before it gets worse or the a/c stops working. Anyone have any ideas where to look? Thank you.
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:32 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Trinary switch?

My next thought is it may be the trinary switch located on top of the drier. I believe this could cause the clicking of the relay if it is faulty. I also realized that as the relay clicks the electric fan is turning on and off. So, if I am lucky enough to locate a new trinary switch and new drier that have matching threading, what do I need to do to the a/c system to swap out the old one. Sorry about the ignorant question but a/c is not my thing. If I unscrew the old drier is is going to expel all the refrigerant / gas?
Thanks for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2013, 09:05 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
I suspect the a/c blower motor is in the process of failing - and if you're going to swap the receiver drier or pressure switch or both, then you should first evacuate the system. You can take it an a/c shop, too, and see if they can help diagnose.
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:09 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Anyone know where I can source a trinary switch and drier that is a direct replacement for a 1997?
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:44 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKC View Post
Anyone know where I can source a trinary switch and drier that is a direct replacement for a 1997?
Look for a trinary on ebay UK - i had posted the part number in another thread. R/D is available at most shops - Atlantic british has them for cheapest.
Old September 21st, 2013, 07:21 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKC View Post
I am selling an extra drier, if you want one.. PM me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1997, 97, ac, relay