1997 4.0 cutting out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

1997 4.0 cutting out

Drive the truck yesterday and it was running like crap and cutting out under load and seemingly at the top each gear. I removed the snorkel tube from the air cleaner and that seemed to help. So would that point to mass airflow sensor? I have also never done any tune up so to speak on the motor except for new plugs and wires. Could the coil packs be bad and need replacing? What are some other tune up's so to speak on that motor?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2014, 07:20 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Clean the intake and pcv first. Before to go after high dollar part replacement. If you are not throwing codes it is a good indication you have filthy intake, throttle and pcv components. Injectors are probably dirty too.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Thanks Clay. I shall try that.

So what is the best way to clean the injectors? Putting a bottle of cleaner in the fuel tank?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2014, 12:34 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
For immediate results I would have the service performed at a shop as the build up can be pretty bad. It will probably cost a couple hundred in labor assuming they don't cut corners and do a through job. Adding a BG product to the fuel and the oil is now considered good maintenance given the crap oil and fuel we generally have access to these days. There are as many products as there are opinions re which works best. I guess we can assume you get what you pay for in this category but who the hell knows. Either way, given the age of the vehicle it is probably a good investment/learning experience. Learn from it and avoid it going forward and the investment will pay for itself. Ignoring it will only cost you more somewhere down the road assuming you keep the vehicle.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 9th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Cool. Thanks for the info. However, I think I found the problem. The intake hose that goes from the mass air flow sensor to the plenum is shot. Cracks and holes on the bottom of the hose. As a temp fix and to verify that was the issue I duct taped up the hose and voila the truck runs way way better. So that seems to be the issue.

Now the new problem is the hose is NLA. So anyone have an idea where to locate one or does anyone have one laying around they want to offload?

Thanks
Old April 9th, 2014, 07:19 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Excellent. You still might consider running a product additive in your fuel and oil occasionally.

Clay

Old April 9th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Yeah I am happy about that. I will run something on the next tank of gas. Now to find a replacement hose. Thanks for your help again!
Old April 9th, 2014, 09:36 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post
Now to find a replacement hose.
Welcome to the search committee. Here's a thread from the last couple of months. If you find a source, let us know.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=51180

Old April 9th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

I was just gonna do a search. Thanks for making that easy.

I'll be keeping an eye out on that thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1997, 97