Defender Source Forum banner

1995 NAS transmission replacement

5K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Zooraya 
#1 ·
My NAS D90 has about 93k miles on it and I'm the second owner. Ever since I purchased the car, shifting from first to second and from second to third requires a double clutch if you don't want to grind the gears.

Is this common for a truck of this mileage? Have any of you had similar issues and, if so, what did you decide to do about it.

I already have one estimate for a rebuilt transmission at $6k installed. I'm still in sticker shock.

It would be great to have a smooth driving experience but I think I can convince myself that double clutching is healthier for my wallet and serves as good exercise.

Any thoughts? comments? pointers?

#2 ·
Trans

Hey Zoo,
My previous AA yellow 95 with 125,xxx had the same issue. Pretty common from what I researched, especially if someone shifts hard/fast from 1st to 2nd and the synchro wears out.

I had a new clutch installed on mine which drastically helped the matter. From stop lights I would just try and feather shift and it was never a major problem.

My shop recommended just driving as is because, it could stay like that for 10 months or 10 years..since it never got worse.

I sold that sweet D90 and I miss it a lot. I'm going to go sulk now

#4 ·
Mine now has 143k on it and yes - same issues.. pretty common btw.. it hasn't gotten worse since 65K miles when i bought it..

No double clutching involved just easy placement of the gears is all you need to do.
use redline Trans fluid ot help but basically your rebuilding it or replacing it at some point..

if you want to fix it.. order a replacement from Ashcroft, I'll do that when my orignal clutch goes until then. its par for the course.

#6 ·
The syncros are badly worn and the Trans needs to be rebuilt. $6k is the price a mechanic will likely charge that is scared because they don't know what they're looking at.

Post up more specifically where you live and ask for suggestions of shops that know what they're doing.

Fix it and enjoy it. You'll be glad you did.

#8 ·
As said, keep your revs down when shifting into 2nd and Redline oil will help with shifting.
Redline MTL is available at Jegs.com
6k for a trans is insane.

Shops see LR and they charge insane prices, especially Defenders. If you mechanically inclined, buy the Defender workshop manual and fix it yourself. You will save mucho denaro...

#11 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. I reached out to the folks at Ashcroft and got a quote in just a few hours, although it's not clear if that price reflects me having to return my existing transmission as a core exchange. Just under $1k USD including shipping.

Also, I'm out in the bay area in California. Shipping my truck down to New Mexico and back again may be as costly as just having it fixed locally, no? I'll have to contact Rob to get the details.

I would love to save some cash and do the work myself but at this time I don't have a garage to do the work in.

I've been running redline in the transmission since I got it and unfortunately, it just didn't make a big enough difference. I agree with some of the comments above, I think this is the best money i can spend on the truck. The driving experience will be a night and day difference.

#12 · (Edited)
A rebuilt R380 from Ashcroft for $1k delivered? That doesn't sound bad at all to me. I would have expected it to be much more given their rep.

I've heard nothing but good things about Rob, but ABQ is $500+ in fuel round trip and it doesn't sound like your truck is up to it. 1k mile delivery is about the same price each way.

#13 · (Edited)
By the way, it looks like Southwest Rovers may have closed up shop. Their website is down and the latest review I can find is from 2009. I'll have to call them in the morning to double check.

------ Follow up post added March 8th, 2016 11:28 PM ------

David, check out their site:
Ashcroft Transmissions

495 pounds for the transmission and I got a quote for 200 to get it shipped. I believe, though, that the 495 price is on top of the core exchange. I've asked what the fee would be without exchanging cores. I'll keep you posted with what I find out.

#16 ·
You can always pull the trans or get someone to do it for you and just ship it to Rob. I think it cost me 100 each way from NC. Plus labor to have it pulled and reinstalled. Rob did the rebuild for 1200. I also got the cross drilled gear from him to install in the Tcase. This is the reason the output shafts go bad in the first place.

#19 ·
#21 ·
Only issue with buying from Ashcroft is if you have an issue, then what? Ship back?

Not a huge deal if you do your own work but if you are going to have a shop do it, I wouldn't want to pay labor in and out. Better to have shop source it and stand behind it.

#22 ·
Update from Ashcroft. If I don't return my existing transmission there will be an additional core fee of £350. That's a total of £1045 or about $1485 to your door.

Good point about what to do if the delivered item is bad. In my situation, I guess I'd be relying on their reputation and hope I get a good unit.

The other shops mentioned thus far are too far away for them to be financially viable.

I've met a great mechanic in south San Francisco whom I trust. Yes the quote for the install is pricey, but the parts alone were quoted at nearly $3150 and I've also asked him to checkout why my newly installed clutch is slipping. I've followed up with an ask to see if he'd be willing to install the Ashcroft built unit. That should help save me $1600.

I'll keep you posted with any updates. Thanks again for the advice, it's all been very valuable.

#23 ·
if done from below a tranny and clutch should be a 4hr job..maybe 6 if you factor in the bell house swap and think time... .. its a parts job basically.

Doing it from above (as per LR) takes forever since you need to remove the seat box and everything...

way easier on a lift and just pull it and swap it.

#24 ·
if done from below a tranny and clutch should be a 4hr job..maybe 6 if you factor in the bell house swap and think time... .. its a parts job basically.

Doing it from above (as per LR) takes forever since you need to remove the seat box and everything...

way easier on a lift and just pull it and swap it.
i replaced mine alone, in the driveway from below in a weekend.

#25 ·
We Did Derek's 109 transmission in the garage from above, including adding a Fairey overdrive.. took about a day not including assembly of the interior.

a shop will probably charge 8 hours if they haven't done it before but that will include padding.

#26 ·
Closing the loop on other options that I came across.

1) Local Land Rover Shop: 12 hours labor totaling $2480.
Pros: It is walking distance from my house.
Cons: $$$

2) Semi reputable shop about 65 miles from my place. Estimate: $1800
Pros: ~700 cheaper than the land rover shop
Cons: Taking a risk that they would do a good job, much longer trek to get the work done, and much longer trek to get it looked at again if anything should go wrong after bringing it home.

Now I'm beginning to contemplate doing the work myself in a friend's shop. It would be my first time undertaking a transmission job but it would be an adventure in itself.

Thanks again for all the helpful info. Couldn't have made an educated decision with you guys.

#29 ·
Three months later and I finally placed the order. I decided to spring the extra $230 for heavy duty bushings. That's what happens when you pull the trigger on a large order at midnight. I'll keep you posted with what happens next. Thus far, the folks at Ashcroft have been awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.