1994 NAS Defender 90 engine question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:00 PM
vir2uosbze
MARLON
1994 D-90 #560 Portofina Red

1994 NAS Defender 90 engine question

I took the heads to my engine off and found 3 cylinder sleeves moved down. Now the dealership recommends a new short block. With the new head gasket being a composite make which is better than the old stainless steel gasket. Should I take a chance and put it back together or get a new short block? The engine only have 164,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:18 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Personally, I would buy a used 3.9 block and clean it up, reseal it and do the head gaskets... It would be cheaper than having the dealer do anything...

Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:54 PM
vir2uosbze
MARLON

Where would I get a used 3.9 block for my D90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:03 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vir2uosbze View Post
Google is your friend my friend.

GOOGLE LINK, CLICK HERE
Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:50 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Talk to Bill Adams here. I understand he has a 3.9 on Marylands eastern shore just a few hours from you.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:43 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have two in my garage outside Philly.

You are welcome to one.

If you plan to keep it long term, I might shell out for a 4.6 short block or just find a good running motor.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:44 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Randy Williams, Will Tillery... Options abound. Search is your friend regarding dropping in a refreshed 3.9, going 4.2, etc.
R-
Ray
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:01 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I
If you plan to keep it long term, I might shell out for a 4.6 short block or just find a good running motor.
I agree. Are you planning on keeping this truck? If so--and if you have the cash--why go to the expense of swapping in another tired 3.9 when you could put a rebuilt 4.6 in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:07 AM
vir2uosbze
MARLON

I do plan on keeping my D90 long term. If I go the 4.6 route, what all am looking to get myself into and how much am I looking on spending? What all would I need to change besides the block?
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:23 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
I do plan on keeping my D90 long term. If I go the 4.6 route, what all am looking to get myself into and how much am I looking on spending? What all would I need to change besides the block?
All you need is the block and a spacer for the crank. Everything else is transferable, but I would, if money is not a concern, buy a reman 4.6 top hat long block set up for your truck.

At 164k a new cam, lifters etc are required IMHO. I would also replace as prevention the radiator, can clutch, all cooling lines etc.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:26 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Cost depends on how you source the engine. Since this engine was used here in the States, you should be able to find someone who could rebuild a 4.6 for you.

Another option is the Turner Engineering remanufactured 4.6. It's more expensive but you're getting a quality product for your money. I bought my remanufactured 300 Tdi from them. They airfreight with DHL over here; mine was shipped on a Friday and was in Seattle on Monday morning.

http://turner-engineering.co.uk/html...inesreman.html

You'll need ancillaries for that motor but any independent LR mechanic should be able to supply those and do the install. The dealer will rape you on any engine swap and their work will be no better (possibly worse) than the indy guys.

Evilfj can provide the details, I'm sure.

/
/
/
/
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:30 AM
vir2uosbze
MARLON

I checked Atlantic British and I can get a reman 4.6 block for my Defender for $5000. Not sure if that's good or bad.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:34 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
I checked Atlantic British and I can get a reman 4.6 block for my Defender for $5000. Not sure if that's good or bad.
That is about what they go for these days. In contrast, I will give you a formerly running 3.9 long block for free.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:37 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
I think you could match or beat that with a Turner motor. It's also entirely possible that AB sells Turner blocks. This is a top-end solution; you're getting what is, essentially, a brand new motor in your truck. That drive-it-off-the-dealership-lot feeling.

/
/
/
/
Old November 23rd, 2013, 06:48 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

No thoughts about flipping to a tdi then?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:53 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Cost depends on how you source the engine. Since this engine was used here in the States, you should be able to find someone who could rebuild a 4.6 for you. Another option is the Turner Engineering remanufactured 4.6. It's more expensive but you're getting a quality product for your money. I bought my remanufactured 300 Tdi from them. They airfreight with DHL over here; mine was shipped on a Friday and was in Seattle on Monday morning. http://turner-engineering.co.uk/html...inesreman.html You'll need ancillaries for that motor but any independent LR mechanic should be able to supply those and do the install. The dealer will rape you on any engine swap and their work will be no better (possibly worse) than the indy guys. Evilfj can provide the details, I'm sure.
How was the shipping/core on a 300 tdi from turner?
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Keep in mind that the D90 3.9 is v-belt so be careful when sourcing engines and planning to swap parts over as most of the other rover options are serpentine belt. As others have said you are well served to contact one of the rover boneyard guys. I recommend Randy Williams aka pushngo as he is very knowledgeable with lots of parts but to warn you he will try to convince you to go 4.6 as well!

Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:49 AM
vir2uosbze
MARLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Keep in mind that the D90 3.9 is v-belt so be careful when sourcing engines and planning to swap parts over as most of the other rover options are serpentine belt. As others have said you are well served to contact one of the rover boneyard guys. I recommend Randy Williams aka pushngo as he is very knowledgeable with lots of parts but to warn you he will try to convince you to go 4.6 as well!
How do I go about contacting these boneyard guys? I already made up my mind since I already need to replace the 3.9 block, that I might as well get the 4.6 upgrade I just need to figure out what all I would need to do to make it happen. One of the previous rover owners gave me a link to Turner-engineering and they quoted me $5300 US for a reman 4.6. So I'm looking to go that way. Any suggestions?
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:48 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Remember, don't look at the 4.6 vs 3.9 or 4.0 marketing name plates. Take a look at the true performance variances and ask yourself if overall it is worth it. Seems like the failure rate on 4.6's vs the 3.9 or right 4.0 should also be a factor used in the decision process.

Clay

Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post

Remember, don't look at the 4.6 vs 3.9 or 4.0 marketing name plates. Take a look at the true performance variances and ask yourself if overall it is worth it. Seems like the failure rate on 4.6's vs the 3.9 or right 4.0 should also be a factor used in the decision process.

Clay
Which means understanding the block in question's history and determining build plan-I.e. a drop in solution with accompanying price tag may not be as intelligent as a 3.9 block reconditioned with 4.6 internals...or a simple 4.2 drop in w/cam and such.

Likewise the leap to diesel is best one done after a careful look at cost/benefit, pro/con, and intended endstate-simply put a 300 TDi is a long way from optimal for many people despite its allure at times.

For petrol options I return to the suggestion of reaching out to Randy Williams to discuss 3.9, 4.2, or what he has cooking in the 4.6 realm.
R-
Ray

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions