1994 fiberglass hardtop installation - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:02 PM
dizuel
Derek Izuel

1994 fiberglass hardtop installation

I just got a fiberglass hard top for my 94 D90. Looks like I have to make a few mods to get it to fit, like install rivnuts in the rails. I ran into a different problem however.

When test fitting the side pieces, The slot in the rail of the top that goes over the diagonal support for the safari cage is offset an inch or two from where the support is connected to the rail. I could cut it to fit, but when something like this happens, it makes me think that something bigger is wrong.

Is it possible I have a non-stock cage? I have a Badger top that fits great, but the diagonal support does not attach or contact it in any way. Can the diagonal support be moved? (there is a hole where it could be attached that would be in the right place)

Also, can a dealer install the rivnuts in the rail?

Thanks,

Derek Izuel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:28 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Do you have pictures so we can see the fit? I guess we'd need to see how it fits at both sides. Mine was not perfect by any means, but for the most part things lines up.

On mine I had to push the windshield forward to get the top front bolts to line up. If you need to do this, please tell your helper to push on the windshield frame and not the windshield itself

charles
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

If you haven't seen it already, there is an article on installing the hard top in the tech section.

I just took another look at it and the information on page 10 is what you are looking for.

-M
http://www.defendersource.com/tech/f...p_install.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2005, 02:36 AM
dizuel
Derek Izuel

Aha! These instructions looked like the same ones that came in the box, but they are not! They are more thorough. Thanks for the help.
Old March 4th, 2005, 08:55 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Derek, My assumption is you have a 95-97 hardtop. not the 94 hard top.

the cage on the 94 is different than the 95-97. You will need to modify the side pieces to fit.

I used a hack saw. measure twice cut once
Old March 4th, 2005, 02:09 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Ditto on what Ron said. I ended up selling the hardtop to my 94. Just to much trouble to put on and off. Although my daughter loved to play house in the back with it on.
What I did do was a Home Depot run to buy clear caulk which I plaed on every seem, all windows, and a huge run where to top attaches to the side pieces. Having the bolts attached in the rain gutter makes no sence to me, as it leaks like a seive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1994, fiber, fiberglass, glass, hardtop, installation