1994 defender 90 question - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 28th, 2014, 07:44 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg97m3 View Post
It seems the gauge is acting up..I just grounded it again from behind the dash, and when I removed the ground wire the gauge slowly moved back then stopped in the middle..I disconnected the wires from the back of the gauge and it then fell back to the C..so it seems it gets stuck or something..I am just going to run real gauges..oil pressure and temp... I cranked the truck with out the temp plug on the sensor and it threw a CE light,,now I am causing myself issues,,
There are 2 temp sensors on a defender. One small brass one the feeds the gauge. This has nothing to do with the ECU and cannot cause a CE light.

The second is a coolant temp sensor with a plastic cap and 2 connectors. This sends the temp to the ECU. Disconnecting this one could cause a CE.

If you are going to change gauges go with a VDO setup.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
There are 2 temp sensors on a defender. One small brass one the feeds the gauge. This has nothing to do with the ECU and cannot cause a CE light.

The second is a coolant temp sensor with a plastic cap and 2 connectors. This sends the temp to the ECU. Disconnecting this one could cause a CE.

If you are going to change gauges go with a VDO setup.

Hmmmm..where is the this small brass one you speak of?!

The one with the plastic "plug" is what I have been messing with.,,that is ecu, bc it threw a light..

I feel dumb, but just learning about the d90

Well I found it,,and damn it.,it pegs the guage,,well I wasted 36 bucks..could be worse..hopefully that damn thermo is in the housing correctly...
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:00 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Hmmmm..where is the this small brass one you speak of?! The one with the plastic "plug" is what I have been messing with.,,that is ecu, bc it threw a light.. I feel dumb, but just learning about the d90 Well I found it,,and damn it.,it pegs the guage,,well I wasted 36 bucks..could be worse..hopefully that damn thermo is in the housing correctly...
So where we at? Is the temp gauge working now?

Oh and there is a 3rd temp switch ( 2 spade connectors ) which truths the AC off if the engine gets too hot but we can worry about that one later!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

Quote:
So where we at? Is the temp gauge working now?

Oh and there is a 3rd temp switch ( 2 spade connectors ) which truths the AC off if the engine gets too hot but we can worry about that one later!

Haha..so here is the latest...pulled the plug on the correct switch..grounded it..guage pegged!! Now I can't find the new sensor..,so waiting for LR to get it two days from now..then I will know

I know about the third sensor....that one isn't hooked up as I don't have AC..that would be for the fan I would assume...thanks again for your help..
Old July 29th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Now I can't find the new sensor..,so waiting for LR to get it two days from now..then I will know
Are you getting it through a Land Rover dealership? If you are, it will not work. I got three through Land Rover, and all were the incorrect resistance causing the gauge to read way too high.

This is what you need.
Old July 30th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

Thanks for saving me....
Old July 30th, 2014, 07:52 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Kristian, what part of town are you in?

Old July 30th, 2014, 09:05 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
If you don't mine changing to non-std gauges the VDO series fit right in and are widely considered to be more accurate. They have their own sensor as the normal defender ones aren't compatible.

http://www.egauges.com/VDO-Vision-Bl...es-s/21006.htm
Old July 31st, 2014, 08:10 AM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Kristian, what part of town are you in?
Brookhaven..you?

Quote:
If you don't mine changing to non-std gauges the VDO series fit right in and are widely considered to be more accurate. They have their own sensor as the normal defender ones aren't compatible.

http://www.egauges.com/VDO-Vision-Bl...es-s/21006.htm
I am looking into new gauges now..
Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:40 PM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

Well, I have replaced the wrong sensor....the correct sensor from AB, and the thermo..and the guage is just sitting by the cold...now it does work..as when it is grounded it pegs...I suspect my thermostat install didn't go well.,and the motor isn't warming up...trying to decide if I want to take it to the shop or pull the thermo..again?? I am about to give up....any ideas??

–-33-------------

Update when out redid the the thermo all is good. In frustration I start to rap the gauge pretty freaking hard with the end if my screw driver...no shit the the gauge starts moving to the center. You have to be kidding me. So after all this back forth crap. Gauge is the issue, but why will it peg when grounded, but come up to temp unless persuaded??

Anyways thanks for everyone's help. I guess a guage is now in store
Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:01 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Well, I have replaced the wrong sensor....the correct sensor from AB, and the thermo..and the guage is just sitting by the cold...now it does work..as when it is grounded it pegs...I suspect my thermostat install didn't go well.,and the motor isn't warming up...trying to decide if I want to take it to the shop or pull the thermo..again?? I am about to give up....any ideas??
Don't give up!

If the hoses get hot then the truck is warming up and you should see this as movement on the gauge.

Even with no thermostat installed you should see some heat on the gauge when running without driving unless you live in AK.

To troubleshoot you are going to need a test lamp or multi meter and upload photos so we can verify what you are doing ...
Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:04 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

–-33-------------

Update when out redid the the thermo all is good. In frustration I start to rap the gauge pretty freaking hard with the end if my screw driver...no shit the the gauge starts moving to the center. You have to be kidding me. So after all this back forth crap. Gauge is the issue, but why will it peg when grounded, but come up to temp unless persuaded??

Anyways thanks for everyone's help. I guess a guage is now in store
loose connection ,,, there are 3 wires going to the gauge make sure they are all clean and tight.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:35 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
x2 on checking the connections. If you end up needing a gauge and don't want to switch to aftermarket, I have one another member gave me that I could pass along to you.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:49 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
x2 on checking the connections. If you end up needing a gauge and don't want to switch to aftermarket, I have one another member gave me that I could pass along to you.
You should do a gauge exchange ... the existing one is probably fixable .. well if you can pull out the screwdriver beating damage! ;-)
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:54 PM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

Quote:
You should do a gauge exchange ... the existing one is probably fixable .. well if you can pull out the screwdriver beating damage! ;-)

Haha no damage...going to pull the gauge tonight..
Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:16 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Definitely check connectors. Not sure on 94s, but if they are terminal ends cut them off and put new ones on.

Learned this when working on my wife's 1960 MGA. The fuel pump would go out when the car warmed up. Turned out the insulated part of the terminal actually insulated the current from the pump when it warmed up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1994, 90, defender, defender 90