1994 Defender 110 2.5 tdi Gearbox - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 12th, 2014, 07:12 PM
alamirogm
Alamiro
1994 Defender 110 2.5 tdi

Question 1994 Defender 110 2.5 tdi Gearbox

Hello everyone

Im new to this forum, but not to land rover. I recently bought a 1994 Defender 110 2.5 tdi (1993 according to vin number), i bought it without gearbox, transfer case and rear axle. I live in Ecuador (south america), and here i cant find any of the parts i need, I was thinking about installing an automatic gearbox (not a requeriment, but preferible), and wondering if anyone has tried an alternative which i could use, with some modifications that should do the work. For example: Chevrolet, ford, etc. According to the year the car should come standard with a LT77 gearbox.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Contact Ashcroft Transmission in the UK

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
There is no easy alternative to running a land rover gearbox. The only gearboxes that will bolt in place to your tdi would be a lt77, a r380 5 speed (replacement for the lt77) or a zf automatic. However, the gearbox will need to have the correct input shaft for your tdi. You can find zf 4hp22 transmission in vehicles other than land rover, but chances are they wouldn't have the correct input/output shaft for your engine/transfer case.

Ashcroft transmissions in the UK has a good reputation and ships worldwide. You could get a rebuilt gearbox from them. I purchased a r380 from AW transmissions UK and it has worked flawlessly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2014, 07:45 PM
alamirogm
Alamiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker View Post
There is no easy alternative to running a land rover gearbox. The only gearboxes that will bolt in place to your tdi would be a lt77, a r380 5 speed (replacement for the lt77) or a zf automatic. However, the gearbox will need to have the correct input shaft for your tdi. You can find zf 4hp22 transmission in vehicles other than land rover, but chances are they wouldn't have the correct input/output shaft for your engine/transfer case.

Ashcroft transmissions in the UK has a good reputation and ships worldwide. You could get a rebuilt gearbox from them. I purchased a r380 from AW transmissions UK and it has worked flawlessly.
Thank you very much, shipping from UK to south america would be very expensive, im trying to go for the cheaper solution. In Ecuador i think it would be easier for me to find a more common car, because then there would be the parts i need for sale.
Im going to find which cars have the 4hp22 transmission and see if i can find it here.

And as for the transfer case, i dont have it either.
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Contact a LR shop/dealer in Lima

bgrhammer@manasa.com.pe
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:00 PM
alamirogm
Alamiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Contact a LR shop/dealer in Lima

bgrhammer@manasa.com.pe
That could be very helpful. Thank you
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I hear you on shipping costs! have you check with US suppliers?

Eg: http://shop.urbanlandcruisers.com/pr.../transmission/

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 1994, defender, defender 110, tdi