1994 D-90 Will Not Start-fuel Pump? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 9th, 2005, 06:46 PM
QUEST
Steven Gimbel
1994 D90

1994 D-90 Will Not Start-fuel Pump?

Hi; My 1994 d-90 will not start and I think the fuel pump is bad. I checked the fuse. I disconected the fuel line after the fuel filter and turned the key, no gas is flowing, is there a modular that could have gone bad or is that just wishful thinking?I want to fix it myself but, I saw in the repair manual that you need a certain tool for the ring that holds the pump in? I want to fix it myself but I could do all this and that was not the problem- I am pretty sure it is. What are your thoughts on doing the work myself- PLEASE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2005, 06:50 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Before replacing the fuel pump you might want to check the relay. I'm not sure if the D90s have a fuel pump relay or not (I know the Rangies and Discos have one). Also check all electrical connectors going to the fuel pump.

Your fuel filter might be clogged also (you checked the fuel pressure after the fuel filter).

Good luck.
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:59 PM
QUEST
Steven Gimbel
1994 D90

Yes There Is No Pressure At All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2005, 07:00 PM
4WD-90
Christopher Stanish
1994 defender 90

When you turn the key to start...Do you hear the pump come on?
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:19 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEST
I want to fix it myself but, I saw in the repair manual that you need a certain tool for the ring that holds the pump in? I want to fix it myself but I could do all this and that was not the problem- I am pretty sure it is. What are your thoughts on doing the work myself- PLEASE.
I've done fuel pumps on RR and Disco and they were very easy to replace. I even used a Caddy pump ($80) on my RR and it worked fine for 5 years.

Like 4WD said, you should hear the pump running when you turn the ignition.

Is the Defender at your home or is it stuck somewhere?
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:50 PM
QUEST
Steven Gimbel
1994 D90

My truck is at home-thanx
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:21 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Well, if you need a pump or help I'm not too far from you.
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:19 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I am pretty sure there is a relay. If you have the service manual, it will tell you which relay is the one for the fuel pump. They are located in the cabin, behind the panel which is forward of the shifter.

Before ripping out the pump you can test to see if it's bad or not by running a jumper wire from the battery (or, positive alternator connection point) to the fuel pump positive terminal. I always keep some 16 gauge wire around with alligator clips on it for just such testing (something you can grab at your local auto parts store cheap, but you don't really need the alligator clips - it just makes it easier).

If the pump whirrs to life, there is something wrong in the circuit feeding it. Fuse you checked, but, you could check to see if there is power going to the hot side of the fuse socket, too. The relay is a likely culprit, but don't rule out faulty wiring somewhere. I know I had LOTS of faulty wiring in my truck (mostly because the PO was, shall we say, someone who should be kept away from tools).
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:31 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Jason, do the Defenders have an inertia switch? I remember tripping the switch on my RR (under driver seat) after removing the rear carpet ....
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yes there is an inertia switch, it's behind the fuses, there should be a little red button on what looks to be a relay. The fuel pump relay on 94s is next to the ECU, sit in the passenger seat an look down and kick, thats where the relay is, there are 2 down there and they are metal. I agree with Jason, check the wiring it has been known to go bad.
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:07 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

My 94 did the exact same thing right after I bought mine...I think it is just an initiation to owning a defender...Anyways, search for my thread and you will see pictures and also links for where I bought my relay for $10.00 (LR dealer $54.00). I will bet you a coke that it is the relay if it just stop working. Need any other help let me know.
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:26 PM
QUEST
Steven Gimbel
1994 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring
I am pretty sure there is a relay. If you have the service manual, it will tell you which relay is the one for the fuel pump. They are located in the cabin, behind the panel which is forward of the shifter.

Before ripping out the pump you can test to see if it's bad or not by running a jumper wire from the battery (or, positive alternator connection point) to the fuel pump positive terminal. I always keep some 16 gauge wire around with alligator clips on it for just such testing (something you can grab at your local auto parts store cheap, but you don't really need the alligator clips - it just makes it easier).

If the pump whirrs to life, there is something wrong in the circuit feeding it. Fuse you checked, but, you could check to see if there is power going to the hot side of the fuse socket, too. The relay is a likely culprit, but don't rule out faulty wiring somewhere. I know I had LOTS of faulty wiring in my truck (mostly because the PO was, shall we say, someone who should be kept away from tools).

You guy`s are great- thanx for all the help- Can I get at the fuel pump teminal with out dropping the tank.
I think it is on the left side or I mean driver side?
My garage- where my truck is is tiny and my bad boy is dead and you can not get a tow truck back their because it is very narrow- their is like a foot on each side to work and now that she is dead I can not get her up on my ramp can I drop the tank on my d-90 with out lifting her up in ramps or stands. Is their a fuel drain plug in a 94 d-90? I sprayed so much under coating I do not remember.NOW with all that said tomorrow I am going to run a wire and see if my pump comes on.

Follow-up Post:

You guy`s are great- thanx for all the help- Can I get at the fuel pump teminal with out dropping the tank?

My garage- where my truck is is tiny and my bad boy is dead and you can not get a tow truck back their because it is very narrow- their is like a foot on each side to work and now that she is dead I can not get her up on my ramp can I drop the tank on my d-90 with out lifting her up in ramps or stands. Is their a fuel drain plug in a 94 d-90? I sprayed so much under coating I do not remember.NOW with all that said tomorrow I am going to run a wire and see if my pump comes on.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjenk
My 94 did the exact same thing right after I bought mine...I think it is just an initiation to owning a defender...Anyways, search for my thread and you will see pictures and also links for where I bought my relay for $10.00 (LR dealer $54.00). I will bet you a coke that it is the relay if it just stop working. Need any other help let me know.

Hi Brain;
You are a total buddy-thank you very much-but, I have own my truck now 8 years and I think it is a fuel pump
that pump has been going for 11 year and maybe she is done.
THANX,
STEVEN

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Well, if you need a pump or help I'm not too far from you.
Hi John C;

YOU ARE THE GREATEST- thank you very much

Sincerely,
Steven
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:43 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Steven, on the RR there is a connector by the DS rear wheel (on the frame). Again, I'm not sure if the 90s have the same wiring configuration.

I don't think you would need a ramp to remove the tank, 90s are pretty high .... When I removed my tank on my 88 RR I drained all the fuel (drain plug was on the side of the tank, passenger side).

Newer RRs had an access panel under the carpet in the cargo area, yours might have one also. If it does then you do not need to drop the tank, just remove the access panel and remove the fuel pump.

I have a 91 RR I am parting out so if you need a relay or fuel pump just let me know and I'll stop by and give you a hand.

Good luck.
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:56 AM
QUEST
Steven Gimbel
1994 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Steven, on the RR there is a connector by the DS rear wheel (on the frame). Again, I'm not sure if the 90s have the same wiring configuration.

I don't think you would need a ramp to remove the tank, 90s are pretty high .... When I removed my tank on my 88 RR I drained all the fuel (drain plug was on the side of the tank, passenger side).

Newer RRs had an access panel under the carpet in the cargo area, yours might have one also. If it does then you do not need to drop the tank, just remove the access panel and remove the fuel pump.

I have a 91 RR I am parting out so if you need a relay or fuel pump just let me know and I'll stop by and give you a hand.

Good luck.
Hiya John C;
Thank you for your time and I will let you know how it is going.
Steven
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:16 AM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

Definately check the fuel pump relay first. I replaced my fuel pump first and it still didn't start. Turned out the relay was bad. As Mike said, there are two relays next to the ECU on the passenger side of the truck. I think the one for the fuel pump is connected to a blue plug. If you do replace the fuel pump, you shouldn't need the LR tool to turn the ring. I was able to turn mine by hand. If it doesn't turn, use a flathead screwdriver and hammer to get it started. I put the rear of the truck on jack stands to give myself a little extra room underneath, but it is not neccessary. As far as draining the tank, mine was full so I used a bulb pump to remove the fuel. It looks like a rubber hose with a bulb in the middle that you squeeze to pump. Also, I bought one of the $10 relays from Autozone. It started the truck, but drained the battery when left too long. I ended up buying a Bosch relay from AB for about $25.
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:35 AM
QUEST
Steven Gimbel
1994 D90

Hi Brian;
What store is AB that you bought it for $25.00?
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:01 PM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

Atlantic British http://www.roverparts.com/ProductLis...mber=AFU2913OE The cheap relay from AutoZone is an easy way to test and can be used again as a spare if neccessary.
Old March 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I had the same thing go a few weeks ago, it was the relay.
If you take it to the shop make sure to take your own Barrel or else they'll charge you for that too.

On a side note, they did do it a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1994, 90, d-90, fuel, start