1994 D-90 Snorkel kit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Rover- Girl

1994 D-90 Snorkel kit

wanting to add a full wading kit & snorkel ( raised air intake ) to my 1994 D-90.
Good idea ... yes, no !?
Mantac VS Safari.... !?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Kind of more of a personal preferance. Depending on which ones you like (looks best to you), and how much money you want to spend. Chris Davis made one himself for allot cheaper then either of those http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5633

Good idea, well maybe, it has saved me from drowning the engine a few times, but because of it I always think oh I can drive through that the snorkel will keep things dry, and I end up getting stuck and swamping the engine because the dumb oil cooler adapter was loose. But from being told how it is in Florida i would think it's a good idea.
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:56 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover- Girl
wanting to add a full wading kit & snorkel ( raised air intake ) to my 1994 D-90.
Good idea ... yes, no !?
Mantac VS Safari.... !?
Thanks
Ahhh.... You see, I told you that you'd need this website... and you didn't believe me.

THE D-90 SOURCE RULES!!!!

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Rover- Girl

Question

OK, OK...Nick, two points for you..
anyway I had called E C R and I was informed that
Putting a snorkel on a 1994 D90 was a bad idea.
" It's like you trying to breath thrue a straw while snorkeling !!??"
The D90's on there site w/ the snorkels are NOT CONNECTED and are
ONLY for LOOKS.
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:31 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

If you are looking for more performance, you need a good flow of air to the motor. With the snorkel, the air hose winds around here and there, going around a sharp corner or two on its way to the airfilter. All this is suboptimal for good airflow, thus you will likely get less power out of the motor.
However, if it is hooked up correctly, you wont drink water when you dunk the truck in a puddle. Trade offs - you have to weigh which way is best for you. Consider the downsides to each side of the equation, look at the benefits and make a choice.
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
This has been argued several times, over and over. It's somewhat true that you can never waterproof a gas engine with the snorkel as well as you could a diesel engine, but it cannot hurt. For dusty conditions is one thing, and like Mike said above, it could save you from flooding your engine with swamp waters better than not having it. Plus, chicks dig it...

Also, with all due respect to ECR, I am curious to the reasoning behind that statement. I think a gas rover with a snorkel will fair much better in water crossing over a gas rover without a snorkel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:17 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I think its funny they told me they don't make Defenders for people that aren't going to use them (I quickly assured them I do), but then they say they put snorkels on but don't attach them.
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:10 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think ECR is a bit eccentric - seems a little odd that someone would install a snorkel and not connect it.

The Tdi didnt miss a beat when I installed the snorkel. I suspect that forced induction mitigates the normal problems associated with restricted intakes.
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I might have a tiny throttle lag and I am running a 4.6. And I mean tiny, if any. I travel sometimes in groups and the dusty environment is evident on the air cleaner. I am running it 50% for that and 50% for water. I don't care if I stall as much as if I hydrolock the engine. I think ECR's statement is crap. I can name a couple people here in Colorado that have replaced their engines from due to water damage from ingestion.

IMHO.
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:31 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
anyway I had called E C R and I was informed that..
Honestly, I'll have to say that it was a 3-pointer, 'cuz you left
& disappeared with your tail between your legs.

Don't stress it, I've been there too... a long time ago, in a galaxy
far, far away...

One thing I always tell people is the only thing that I can truly
appreciate on a daily basis about getting 'older' is PREDICTION.

Good luck with your 'snorkeling'...

Nicholas Orros

Old June 16th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Nobody even asked the only important question. Are you going to get wading water OVER the hood? If you are, a snorkle is fine and beneficial, if you are not, then it is unnessary and stupid.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
anyway I had called E C R and I was informed that
Putting a snorkel on a 1994 D90 was a bad idea.
" It's like you trying to breath thrue a straw while snorkeling !!??"
The D90's on there site w/ the snorkels are NOT CONNECTED and are
ONLY for LOOKS.
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
It will restrict air, it's a matter of physics, but will it restrict air to the point that you notice engine performance? Maybe at 5000rpm you may start noticing some lag, but in the normal driving rpm range of a Defender I don't think there is much lag at all. I drive with a pretty heavy foot, and the first 2 weeks of driving on my new engine I did not connect the snorkel, this week it is on and I have not noticed any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Nobody even asked the only important question. Are you going to get wading water OVER the hood? If you are, a snorkle is fine and beneficial, if you are not, then it is unnessary and stupid.
But thats just it, you don't always know. You can poke at the bottom with a stick all you want but when you drive in you find out just how deep it is. I am no expert, but water doesn't have to go over the hood to need a snorkel, I wouldn't want to be in water over 3 feet deep without one, at that point there is a ton of water splashing around under the hood and I don't want any going in the air intake.
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:51 AM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

I am actually working on a removable stainless ($ permitting) or regular steel 3" snorkel...
I wouldn't run a snorkel on stock airbox anyway... that involves routing a lot of tube.
But I wouldn't listen to ECR on that point.
Remember: Opinons are free, TDI conversions... now they cost money.

I will try to get some photos soon...

Anyone know which 3" mushroom / filter will hold up on top of the snorkel?
Or does anyone have any experience with any mushroom style filters?

Does anyone know how many cfms a 4.6 will draw unrestricted at 6k rpms?

My little design involves grinding the bump of of the MAF, moving it, close to the plenum... using a Sampco turbo reducer...
I am sure it has been done before, but it works great.
If anyone needs to know anything I will take some pics and what not...

So much to do to my truck and so little time and $
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:25 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

This has definitely all been discussed exhaustively in previous threads. But I'll summarize my perspective and experience:

Traditional snorkel setups do involve serpentine ductwork, significantly longer than stock. But there's a much simpler routing, described by John Lee on the Expedition Exchange website. I've adopted his approach, but using ABS pipe, and relocating the stock filter box to the fender. This makes for a flow-path only slightly longer than stock.

With my filter box on the wingtop, I can disconnect the snorkel from it, and reattach the stock trumpet. This gives a path SHORTER than stock.

Although I haven't compared scientifically, I have not perceived any performance difference between any of these arrangements.
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:49 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I honestly have to say I don't care for either of the snorkle kits I've seen on NAS Defenders. The absurdly long and cumbersome hose routing that you need to put under the hood really turns me off to the whole idea. Maybe after I put the Megasquirt into the truck, and eliminate the mass air sensor, I will be able to find a more acceptable method.

The best effort I have seen, and I forget who here did it, was the job where the air filter cannister was relocated out onto the top of the fender. But unless you have a lot of other bolt-ons on the outside of the truck, it can easily look out of place.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:14 AM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Hans, that's what I did. Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snorkel sm.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	3338  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1994, 90, d-90, kit, snorkel