1993 RR Power Brake Questions??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 20th, 2013, 02:37 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

1993 RR Power Brake Questions???

Our son has a 1993 LWB Range Rover that he wants to convert to a R380 5 speed.
He is running an intercooled 2.8 liter Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel 4JB1-T engine and wants to replace the ZF-auto.

We've never swapped out the power brakes before, but it looks like they would be in the way of the petal assembly. I would think there were manual versions of the LWB RR that had the same power brakes and would like to keep them as they work fine, but thought I would ask if anyone had removed the power brakes and used a master cylinder?

Thoughts... am covering new ground here, at least for us.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2013, 04:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There are at least a few manual trans 93-95 RRC. Bear valley had one for sale around 2000 and said it was factory. It was a 95 green SWB, but the brakes between SWB and LWB are the same. I would start by finding the pedal box assembly out of a disco I with the r380.
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:25 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

We have a 5 speed Disco here and looking under both hoods tells me that we may need to loose the power brake assembly on the 1993 LWB RR and go with a master cylinder and booster from a Disco or earlier RR. We may have to swap some of the brake calipers as well, but am not completely certain at this point.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Take note; Robert is covering new ground.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:22 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Shoot a PM to Rovingbeetle, I know he removed the zf in his 93? and is using an r380. I know he's using everything from a D1 5 speed but I don't remember what he said he was doing with the brake setup, and he is also running a diesel, but an Isuzu IIRC.
Old July 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Rovingbeetle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
Shoot a PM to Rovingbeetle, I know he removed the zf in his 93? and is using an r380. I know he's using everything from a D1 5 speed but I don't remember what he said he was doing with the brake setup, and he is also running a diesel, but an Isuzu IIRC.
When using "Rovingbeetle" under advanced search, it comes up with:

Invalid User specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Any suggestions?

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:40 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Try Roving Beetle, two words
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Found Roving Beetle, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
Try Roving Beetle, two words
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/members/roving+beetle-5070.html

Old July 21st, 2013, 12:33 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I did this on my 91 RRC. Give me a call and I will run you through all the steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
We have a 5 speed Disco here and looking under both hoods tells me that we may need to loose the power brake assembly on the 1993 LWB RR and go with a master cylinder and booster from a Disco or earlier RR. We may have to swap some of the brake calipers as well, but am not completely certain at this point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake