1989 rrc normal running temps? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:05 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
1989 rrc normal running temps?

Hey folks:

So I'm about to take the "new" rangie on its first offroad trip. I'm concerned it's running a bit hot and wanted some input. I've replaced everything in the cooling system and I mean everything (radiator fan clutch water pump thermostat hoses heater core temp sender for the gauge). The gauge normally sits right in the middle but sometimes creeps up a bit past. Other rrc's I've had indicated cooler running than this one so I'm concerned there is a problem but have pretty much convinced myself that the gauge sux.

My question is can anyone take a reading of their normal operating temp with an ir thermometer or otherwise? My last reading yesterday with the gauge slightly past the halfway point showed 197 at the intake manifold just below the thermostat housing on the drivers side and 206 at the radiator tank at the top drivers side where the top hose connects.

I'm running a 180 degree thermostat. I may pull it and test it on the stove. Any input appreciated.

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2012, 03:26 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Daniel,

That's a bit high IMO.

I had the same issue on my 4.6L DI and it turned out to be the electric fan. The PO wired wrong and it was pushing air out. IMSMR you want to be bellow 195F.

Did you checked the radiator? Your radiator might be clogged.

P
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
It's a brand new radiator from British pacific and my coolant is new and has stayed clean over the thousand miles or so I've put on the rig. The passenger side top of the radiator reads 10+ degrees cooler than the drivers side top and the bottom outlet reads in the 155 range so I believe it's doing it's job. I'll pull the thermostat and test it just to be safe. I bet it's not opening properly. Gotta love all makes or whatever the brand is now. Thanks.

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2012, 03:50 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
It's a brand new radiator from British pacific and my coolant is new and has stayed clean over the thousand miles or so I've put on the rig. The passenger side top of the radiator reads 10+ degrees cooler than the drivers side top and the bottom outlet reads in the 155 range so I believe it's doing it's job. I'll pull the thermostat and test it just to be safe. I bet it's not opening properly. Gotta love all makes or whatever the brand is now. Thanks.

Daniel
That might be the issue.

I tested mine with hot water and a thermometer... Worked like a charm.

I bought a temp gauge with one of these:

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Water-Hose-Adapters.aspx

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions