1989 petrol oil - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2016, 01:06 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Timing: You need to check centrifugal advance (timing versus engine speed). You can have a broken advance spring.
What does this mean opposed to regular timing? I set it to 0degrees at idle and made sure that it advances with throttle. At first it didn't, which I discovered was due to the vacuum advance tubing being not correctly hooked up

Quote:
Idle Mixture: Back out until there is no increase in idle. Screw in until the idle starts to just drop and then back out a bit from there. Reset idle speed. Repeat mixture. Drive and then check again.
This is what I did, just backwards. I screwed it all the way in, and backed it out until it ran smooth, then reset the timing. Drove around the block a few times making small adjustments until if was smoothly.

Quote:
Valve lash: This is the rocker clear to the valve. It is adjustable and should be set. Takes no time to do.
Is this what you would call a "valve job"? Where you remove the rocker cover and adjust the clearances? I was going to do this over the weekend if I got my hands on the specs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
What does this mean opposed to regular timing? I set it to 0degrees at idle and made sure that it advances with throttle. At first it didn't, which I discovered was due to the vacuum advance tubing being not correctly hooked up
You want to check advance versus engine speed. Time to download and read the workshop manual.... The manual gives the specs. If it is not within spec, have a look at the centrifugal advance and see if something is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Is this what you would call a "valve job"? Where you remove the rocker cover and adjust the clearances? I was going to do this over the weekend if I got my hands on the specs.
Not what I would call a "valve job". In my mind, that mean pulling the head and lapping the valves. Really just get the proper manual, and follow the instructions.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 25th, 2016, 01:19 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

^^ Looks like I have some homework!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2016, 02:11 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
As they say nine out of ten Land Rovers are still on the road. The tenth one actually made it home...

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions