1989 110 19J 2.5 TD trouble starting - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 26th, 2015, 02:26 PM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

I've been reading your posts. After looking at your pictures your culprit for non starting is the algae. It's possible it's all through your system. I've taken an old distribution pump apart to see how it works and there a lot of places in that pump that can get plugged up. As suggested I would try an algae treatment. I would take my glow plugs out to take the load off the starter and rotate the engine over to allow the pump to push fuel through the system. This may free up some of choke points in the pump that are plugged. You can crack you injector lines a bit to see if your getting fuel to them. I would tape or unplug your glow plug leads so you don't short out the system.
As far as the smoking electrical, corrosion is an issue with the way Land Rover build these old electrical harnesses. I have had the same problem with my 110. check the large brown leads in your dash for corrosion at the connecting points. I used a little dremmel stainless brush to clean up the connections and some direlectric compound or WD-40 to stop any future corrosion. Make sure your battery ground is the proper guage for a diesel. Also check for any corrosion where it connects to the frame. I hope this helps with your starting issues. I just finished installing a 19j in my truck and some of the issues your having I encountered. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
Well i brought the truck over to richmond yesterday under Rick's advise to Drew at Sarek Autowerke. It looks like indeed the IP is toast due to algae in the system. Hopefully everything else checks out mechanically sound with the shop

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2548.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	118221

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2551.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	118222
Old April 13th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
Thanks for all the guidance and help! you all are the best! Love these forums. Its insane what you can find out. If i wasn't traveling around and hopping from place to place so much recently, I would have this truck out and rolling by now. lol

ALSO.....
255/85/r16 tires. There should be no real issue putting these tires on this truck, correct? Have some laying around and the ones on the truck are dry rotted like crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2015, 03:26 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Lance...those would be just fine. Again, I am sorry I couldn't get it going for you, but at least we found the direction to go. It is in good hands now that Drew is on the case. Best of luck, and keep in touch.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, start, starting