1988 3.5 V8 emissions in Tennessee. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2015, 11:04 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
1988 3.5 V8 emissions in Tennessee.

Hello all,
I am still getting my 19988 110 sorted out an ran into (another) snag today. I failed emissions testing due to high Co levels. Even though I did tons of research about importing, I never thought to check emissions issues for legally imported rovers. Having had a classic car in the past I didn't worry about it. Is it your experience that non-cat V8 models will have to have cats added in order to pass inspection and be registered? Has anyone had experience in Tennessee?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2015, 11:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentflyfish View Post
Hello all,
I am still getting my 1988 110 sorted out an ran into (another) snag today. I failed emissions testing due to high Co levels. Even though I did tons of research about importing, I never thought to check emissions issues for legally imported rovers. Having had a classic car in the past I didn't worry about it. Is it your experience that non-cat V8 models will have to have cats added in order to pass inspection and be registered? Has anyone had experience in Tennessee?
They have emissions testing on 25+ year old vehicles in Tennessee? Seriously? No emissions testing in Northern VA on 25+ year old cars, and no emissions in NY on pre-1995. I mean this with all due respect, but I'm totally shocked that TENNESSEE is doing this on older cars.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 25th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
I agree. Seems crazy but true. tN requires an inspection of anything 1975 or newer. I guess my question is now, am I required to have cats installed? Can I do something and still pass without them or are cats a requirement regardless?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2015, 11:32 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Isn't this an option? Reads as a permanent registration, and I would assume that comes with no emissions requirements? Though admittedly I did not read into it 100%
http://www.tn.gov/revenue/forms/titl...901Fill-in.pdf
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 25th, 2015, 11:53 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
If only it were that easy. I want to use the truck as much as possible for daily use, hunting, fishing etc. the antique tag is only permitted on weekends, for car shows, etc.
Old February 25th, 2015, 11:54 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
I don't know anything about the carbs on a rover v8, but I assume there is an idle mixture adjustment. I'd say lean it out until you get maximum vacuum.
Old February 26th, 2015, 12:28 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I also have a 3.5 V8 in my 1988, and I also had trouble here in Oregon. When I tried to get it tested they insisted on testing it as if it were a 1988 Range Rover. That means they set the computer to read it with an EFI and cats...... I tried... I tried to explain.......

Anyway....

I did a few things to finally make it work. Of course, the standards will be different where you are, so who knows. First, I kept driving it, changed the oil, used some sea foam, changed the plugs and wires. It had sat a lot over the last year or so, and the more I drove it the better it got.

Second, I switched to KN filters and ditched the giant paper filter.

I also tweaked the timing and carbs just a tiny, tiny bit to keep the idle just a tad bit high. It is so low and chunky when normal, and my mechanic said he quietly keeps his foot on the pedal when getting tested. But what do I know...

Finally, after I still just barely didn't pass, I went and got a cat welded into the pipe. Oddly, I think the truck actually ran better after this! And it passed.

By the way, I'd love to see pics of your truck.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old February 26th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Your car has a FEDERAL emissions exemtion. See your form 3520 where you imported your car and take that to the DMV or whomever and keep pushing until you get someone with an IQ over 100.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 26th, 2015, 12:48 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
They would not take that from me. It's Portland. The trees here are more important than unborn babies. I tried that move.

I kept trying to explain it to them. The guy at the DEQ station literally stared blankly at me WHILE he sneakily put the probe up the tail pipe, then changed the subject as if I had not said anything. This is pretty typical for local bureaucrats and librarians.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:29 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Your car has a FEDERAL emissions exemtion. See your form 3520 where you imported your car and take that to the DMV or whomever and keep pushing until you get someone with an IQ over 100.

Douglas,

In California the Federal exemption has no bearing, and although we are talking about TN, I'm just using this as an example as something similar might apply to that state as well..

California's CARB laws trump the Fed's when it comes to emissions, and vehicles are required to pass emissions and have a State issued label affixed to the vehicle by a state testing station "referee" the 1st time it's inspected, after which the vehicle can be taken to any smog station for testing every 2 years. Without that label, no independent testing station will even touch the truck.
Defenderless, for now!
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
Douglas,

In California the Federal exemption has no bearing, and although we are talking about TN, I'm just using this as an example as something similar might apply to that state as well..

California's CARB laws trump the Fed's when it comes to emissions, and vehicles are required to pass emissions and have a State issued label affixed to the vehicle by a state testing station "referee" the 1st time it's inspected, after which the vehicle can be taken to any smog station for testing every 2 years. Without that label, no independent testing station will even touch the truck.
Very well aware, My advice was for some one in Tn not you. California is unique in that respect. The issue is that many of us register these trucks in states that have emissions testing and once registered they are treated like any other car. Obviously they are not and no one one @ a clerical level is going to correct this. Virginia used to put "EPA Exemption on file" on the title, they no longer do.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 26th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

In Florida I had an old FJ cruiser that always had a hard time passing the smog check. There you could find a local shop that guaranteed after they got done with it it would pass. Most of the time all that they did was adjust the carbs to pass and then take them back to the old levels so that it would be fun to drive. As mentioned above by RBBailey change the oil etc. It will make a difference. Also read up on how you wait in line and if you leave the truck running or not. Weather will also make a difference.
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:18 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Lets start talking numbers here. What were your HC, CO, CO2, 02, and NO numbers and where do you need to be? Are you way off? Just at touch?

Yes a Catalytic converter (especially a hot one) will help reduce but if you are close, then maybe a few tuning tricks can get you passed.
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:19 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
PM sent
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old February 27th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
Thanks all. As for my levels I tried twice. In TN the passing level for CO is 1.2. The first time, when the car was warm but not hot I received a CO level of 2.6. I got the car hot and did it again and the level was even higher at over 3.

I still can't get an answer from anyone as to whether cats are required or only that I have to pass emissions. Frustrating.
Old February 27th, 2015, 10:03 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
1988 3.5 V8 emissions in Tennessee.

You're in Davidson County which requires annual emissions testing. My personal opinion would be to get a pair of converters installed and be done with it, as you would have to go through the same issues every year.

If you decide to go that route, Magnaflow makes a universal converter specifically for our trucks (I just can't remember the P/N now, sorry) and they are reasonably priced, just make sure you find a competent muffler shop that's at least "semi-familiar" with Defenders to have the work done.
Defenderless, for now!
Old February 27th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Your truck is running rich. How do your plugs look?

Is this just an idle test? CO levels aren't hard to test at home. HC on the other hand is a bitch.

Do you have any vacuum leaks?

I prefer not to deal with inspections, but usually if you fail it is due to something that really ought to be fixed. The testing levels for the older cars are usually pretty easy to achieve if everything is set up correctly.

(Says the guy who just rebuilt the whole top end of his engine to get the truck through emissions...sigh...)

That said, has TN actually figured out how to enforce Historic vehicle driving restrictions? I don't know any other municipality that has. I drive mine all the time. There is nothing they can really do to prove you are using it outside of the requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentflyfish View Post
Thanks all. As for my levels I tried twice. In TN the passing level for CO is 1.2. The first time, when the car was warm but not hot I received a CO level of 2.6. I got the car hot and did it again and the level was even higher at over 3.

I still can't get an answer from anyone as to whether cats are required or only that I have to pass emissions. Frustrating.
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
thanks all. I think I may just go ahead and add cats. I am also considering installing a 4.2 so ay just go ahead and do that sooner than originally intended. anyone down this way have one refurbed and ready to go?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
v8