1988 110 v8 3.5 no start.... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 29th, 2016, 08:25 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Brown is un-fused (+).
White is power supplied (+) by the ignition switch being turned on.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2016, 06:54 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
to be investigated tomorrow.... 40's ! tropical winter upstate NY
Old February 7th, 2016, 12:52 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer

Registry
well I finally had some time.

1. no voltage on the hot lead going to pump
2. attaching a fused direct lead to the pump 12.5v with 7.5a fuse. nothing happening inside the tank

so now I think I gotta drop the tank, anyone know if I can check the resistance of the +/- of the fuel pump and what kind of readings I should get ?

I figured direct power to pump would do anything as I had attached the 12v from the fuel gauge and it did nothing too. I still don't know why I got no power going to pump just hoping I am somehow doing something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:02 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer

Registry
actually have 2 x 110v8 both 1988 in my driveway... both turn over, neither make tank pump noice. and neither have gas coming out at SU carbs. I've been too busy over the past few weeks and tried my luck with the second truck. Same thing... now I am thinking I must have a bad ground. Although the 5 door I tried a battery right to the wiring of the pump and nothing, am I missing something about how that wiring works ? does the pump ground itself to the tank somehow ??... I know I'm ranting. I actually had both trucks running with some gas manually into the carbs. So I know they both run, I just have to figure out fuel delivery situation. Snowing out, waiting for warmer weather and I have a spare fuel pump now so I should be able to figure this out. was even thinking of hooking up new pump onto wiring just see if I get a noise from the current wiring/ or if it pays to drop tank. some sort of garage would be an idea.....
Old March 30th, 2016, 09:43 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer

Registry
Ok just in case someone reads thru this posts and wonders... here is how the 1988 110 V8 is set up...

you turn the ignition and tank pump comes on, no relay that I have found.

I just dropped the tank on one of the trucks, hooked up tank straight to battery and no sound. New Pump, is purring away nicely with ignition power, just have to lift the tank back into it's space...

so same setup as earlier v8's except pump is inside the tank and unlike earlier v8's there isn't a glass fuse for the pump or I haven't found a fuse.

Now I just have to figure out where to get a new drain plug for tank... little leak there.
Old March 31st, 2016, 11:25 AM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch View Post
earlier v8's...a glass fuse for the pump
Where would I find that?
Old March 31st, 2016, 09:14 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer

Registry
the glass fuse for the pump is in the fuse section of my 1985, I think #20 ... NAPA sells the right fuse.

------ Follow up post added March 31st, 2016 09:16 PM ------

So new pump in, put in gas.... cranked nothing

opened up fuel filter under passenger side foot well , still nothing... discovered 2nd tank there that was not hooked up

changed polarity on the fuel pump...

BINGO... fuel pissing out of my passenger side carb on the bottom... I think float stuck, or who knows....

anyone know how to fix SU's.... Joe Curto isn't fast or super bargainous...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, start, v8