1985 ROW D90 clutch slave line? r380 replacing lt77 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 17th, 2013, 12:08 AM
SkinlessFrank
Sean
1984 Defender 90 (2.5 TD)

1985 ROW D90 clutch slave line? r380 replacing lt77

I am fitting an r380 to replace the lt77 and the clutch slave line is on the opposite side - is there a prefab line available from our US vendors?

Details:
The ROW RHD clutch line runs from the Drivers side to the Pass side for the LT77, but the r380 clutch is on the drivers side. I am swapping the 2.5TD (19j) for a 300tdi.

Options:
Do I pull the old line and bend/flare/terminate new lines OR does someone sell nice stainless so I don't have to screw it up?

And yes, I did search multiple times, but did to find anything - but feel free to flame me as long as it helps.

Thanks,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Take the line to autozone, they should be able to match it for you. Take a pc of scrap wire to get a good idea of how long it needs to be.
Old July 17th, 2013, 09:23 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

What are you doing with that old LT77? I might have a home for it and I'm just up the road from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2013, 09:57 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Just make a new hard line if you have the flare tool. I use aluminum clothesline wire to fab up the bends, but any scrap that is bendy will work. Coat hanger wire is good but not very lengthy. Once you get the proxy piece bent the way you like, bend up the for-real line to match. Very zen.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Since no one else has suggested it- take a tubing cutter and cut your existing pipe and buy two brake line compression fittings from napa or Oreillys or whomever and a short section of brake tube and extend your existing pipe to meet your needs. The tubing ends on the factory pipes are double flared and thats not easily done without buying a several hundred dollar tool. My way costs about $6 and you retain the factory end fittings. Place your cuts and unions where they are least noticeable- shouldn't be hard on a clutch pipe.

Not as elegant as Bills aluminum clothes line methodology but he's an artist, I'm not the least bit artistic

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:31 PM
SkinlessFrank
Sean
1984 Defender 90 (2.5 TD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
What are you doing with that old LT77? I might have a home for it and I'm just up the road from you.
Possibly...I have a list of conversions that I am doing and this setup MAY go into a Series III if I can find a cheep frame. Or I may look into a RRC frame to shorten and mod for the series.

If I go let it go, it will be the trans, xfer case...and possibly the 2.5td. Harass me about it in a month or so, my wife will have told me what to do by then

Sean

------ Follow up post added July 17th, 2013 05:34 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Just make a new hard line if you have the flare tool. I use aluminum clothesline wire to fab up the bends, but any scrap that is bendy will work. Coat hanger wire is good but not very lengthy. Once you get the proxy piece bent the way you like, bend up the for-real line to match. Very zen.
That is me backup plan...I would rather pay for a new/NOS part if they are out there. Especially as they would be "correct" as opposed to the way that I happen to plumb it.

-Sean

------ Follow up post added July 17th, 2013 05:38 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Since no one else has suggested it- take a tubing cutter and cut your existing pipe and buy two brake line compression fittings from napa or Oreillys or whomever and a short section of brake tube and extend your existing pipe to meet your needs. The tubing ends on the factory pipes are double flared and thats not easily done without buying a several hundred dollar tool. My way costs about $6 and you retain the factory end fittings. Place your cuts and unions where they are least noticeable- shouldn't be hard on a clutch pipe.

Not as elegant as Bills aluminum clothes line methodology but he's an artist, I'm not the least bit artistic
Now that is a great Yankee option! I like it...and it may be my initial solution as it would be quick. Long run, I would replace it - but I do like the simplicity!

- Sean

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions