Defender Source Forum banner

1985 Land Rover 90 parts confusion

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ezzzzzzz 
#1 ·
I have a 1985 90. It would appear it's a mix of Series III parts and Range Rover parts. I have been looking for front calipers for the better part of 6 months (even went to Paddock's while in England and they were stumped.) it would appear the pads are the same as the Range Rover pads (without the wire) and the calipers look similar, I just cant get a part number off the current calipers. I can pop off a wheel and upload a photo. I tried Rovers North but no one could seem to be certain about which calipers I needed. Any other 90 owners that might have an idea? thanks much!

also, what is the preferred power steering fluid? anything anyone has good luck with? since most of it will end up on my driveway I'm not sure if it matters anyway.

that's another question. Has anyone come up with a good replacement cap for that crap tin cap/gasket combo for the power steering reservoir?

thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
I have a 1985 90. It would appear it's a mix of Series III parts and Range Rover parts. I have been looking for front calipers for the better part of 6 months (even went to Paddock's while in England and they were stumped.) it would appear the pads are the same as the Range Rover pads (without the wire) and the calipers look similar, I just cant get a part number off the current calipers. I can pop off a wheel and upload a photo. I tried Rovers North but no one could seem to be certain about which calipers I needed. Any other 90 owners that might have an idea? thanks much!
Brian:
It is not uncommon that early ROW LRs end up being a FrankenRover over time, especially when an owner of limited means has to keep them on the road.
By identifying the correct pads, what's wrong with fitting new Range Rover pads and leaving the rest of the front brakes in place as you did not mention any other braking issues?

also, what is the preferred power steering fluid? anything anyone has good luck with? since most of it will end up on my driveway I'm not sure if it matters anyway.
I've used ATF for years with no ill effects.

that's another question. Has anyone come up with a good replacement cap for that crap tin cap/gasket combo for the power steering reservoir? thanks!
Not unless you replace the entire reservoir.

#3 · (Edited)
the calipers are original and partly frozen. the 90 came over here from England in 2010 and had a current MOT sticker. I just don't know if the range rover calipers would bolt to the frame correctly. I'd hate to spend $600 to find that out :)

#7 · (Edited)
Think I understand your first post now.
I read it to convey that your 90 had been modified with Range Rover front brakes and aparently was not the only one.

What you are asking is specifically is there a front caliper that fits your 90" ???
Then others were thinking would early Range Rover calipers fit.
Early ROW 90s had some unique brake and hub parts that are not easily identified much less acquired through Land Rover.
If it were my ride, I would compare to a Disco I setup and see if the whole hub swivel ball out would fit.
You might have to replace the front diff carrier to match the splines from the front shafts to the spider gears.
You don't mention if you have RHD or LHD, but if your 90" is RHD you'll need to replace some of the lower steering arms that may or may not interchange with yours assuming you are swapping a LHD Disco setup into a RHD vehicle.

The more simple option would be to remove your calipers and ship them to Zack @ RN and they should be able to match them up.
That way you're spot on if the parts are still available from LR.
While you're at it, replace the rotors as well.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Front brakes, you didn,t mention if vented or not. If vented that's all good as its a favorite mod.

#5 ·
Sounds like fun! :) yes, if you upload pictures and provide some dimensions on the calipers (bolt spacing etc) someone will be able to provide a part number (not me though! ;) ).

I didn't think power steering was a factory options for the early truck, so I'd guess this is a modification. But it used to be fairly straight forward to fit a rangy power box on the 110s.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks! Sorry for all the confusion. When i said it was a mix of parts i meant that the 90 i have and the later defender 90 seem to have different parts. It has solid rotors. I don't think the calipers were a swap from a range rover. the closest calipers I could find (by mathlching up the pads) were for a mid 80s range rover. It's right hand drive. I believe there is only one line into the back of the caliper. The pistons are pitted badly and I doubt the caliper could be rebuilt (I can't imagine that rust isn't inside as well). The power steering set up looks factory, not an add on as I was able to order a replacement cap gasket for that year 90. I will post pictures in the daylight.

------ Follow up post added April 7th, 2015 09:04 PM ------

Should I spring for the hub rebuild kit if I am doing the rotors? It would seem sensible if I am taking all that apart anyway.

#11 ·
My 84 D90 had calipers that matched a 98 disco axle also. Suspect this might be the same as early RRC with the non-vented front discs.

There are two different pad setups that work with the same caliper. One has holes in the pad and the pads are held by solid pins and little coil springs.

The other is no holes in the pad and the pads are held in by split pins pushing against folded spring-steel pieces that push against the corners of the pads.

I've no idea why the change to the pads was made or why, or what difference they make. I have used both and the the truck stops fine either way.

Double check you are using the right bolts when you put them on and you should be fine.

#14 ·
My 86 grey market RR had no abs/traction control. The calipers are single line using pins to hold pads in place. The disco solid disc will work too. Be sure to use the correct bolts as mentioned earlier. Personally, I don't understand the girling style drop-in pads in the rear using the spring plates and pins. I've seen many where the pad dropped through, cutting the top hat away from the rotor and causing piston dislodgement of the caliper...stupid design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.