1985 Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 6th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

Question 1985 Defender

I've wanted a NAS D-90 for about 15 years now. Just when I was about to be able to afford one something always seemed to go wrong. Due to the banks not financing older vehicles I figured I may have to just buy another jeep. BUT then about a month ago I ran into a guy who is on this forum and he was driving an 85 Defender. He told me about the 25 year old imports. My question is does anyone have any experience with these trucks? Are they reliable? What are the costs like for a solid truck? I do like the idea of a diesel engine. Does anyone know of any dealers or places to begin looking for older imports? I'm not very handy so I don't want to get in over my head with repair costs either, but at the same time I owned a 91 Wrangler daily driver for the past 10 years so I understand their will be some upkeep costs. The D90 would be used as a second vehicle not a daily driver. Is there any reason I should stay away from it? The vehicle would be used in the snow, fishing/camping trips. I just figured this may be a cheaper alternative to a NAS D90. Thanks for any help, I've been using this board for years, and I really appreciate any info.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2010, 11:30 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I'll offer some insight, I'll assume your buying a something that is not rebuilt,restored or re-anything

#1. Be realistic! your buying a OLD TRUCK. The interior is going to beat up. Seats will be board like, the dash will have gauges that don't work and there will be RUST!

#2. Shop around and ask for plenty of pictures. Make sure the seller is up front and describes any issues that exist with the truck. There will be issues. Fuel senders, temp senders...If they don't provide the info you want, run away. Diesel swaps are common place, and if done right, will be very reliable

#3. I brought mine from Julian at Globallandrovers.com. Zero issues, was straight up about the truck and delivered what was promised.

#4. Finding your dream truck is only half the battle. Now you need to get it here. I'll recommend using Doug Crowther as import agent. It is worth EVERY PENNY YOU PAY to have complete paperwork and the truck delivered with no hassles.

Be leary of a perfect truck for 15k, ain't gonna happen...but you can find a base vehicle that will need some minor work to make it into something cool...
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

Thanks for the insight. I was actually hoping to possibly find something here in the U.S. already so I didn't have to go through the headache of importing it,possibly something restored at least mechanically with a solid body. Maybe something that was in need of some basic cosmetic work, paint, tlc etc... I guess I was wrong to assume I could get it for about 10-15k. After reading it might be worth it for me to just find a deal on a NAS 90. Thanks for taking the time to reply. However, I will search the links you gave me as well and continue to educate myself. Thanks again.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2010, 02:00 AM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

FWIW, I was in pretty much the same position as you are. Wanted a D-90 for the past ten or twelve years but the prices for the ones here were just too high. Now that they've gotten 25 years old the imports are coming in. I found an '85 SW with a 200tdi in it at an affordable price. (I'd much rather have a 200 or 300tdi than a V-8.) I drove it 400 miles home after purchase. It was not rusted out, bulkhead or frame, with a good body. Sure there are a few things that need to be done such as replacing a few leaking wheel seals and rebuilding calipers but that was to be expected on a truck that old. I've been going through it and thoroughly enjoying the work making into the truck that I've always wanted. When I'm done I will have spent considerably less than what it would have cost to by an NAS truck and will have a simpler, more reliable truck too. My suggestion is to patiently keep an eye on the forums and eBay, which is where I found mine. Your truck is out there without having to pay 20k for it.
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:27 AM
benpearson
ben pearson
85 D90 200TDI

In case you are interested, i have an 84 D90 for sale, in Florida, with a Florida title. 2.5D, frame and bulkhead are good, 90k miles from new, all guages work, power steering, interior is in excellent condition, with the seats just having been re-upholstered with black vinyl, new 285/75 mud terrains and the interior has been bed linered.

Pictures do not show: Factory gear shift knob, will go with car. also, i have just fitted checkerplate to sills and rear quarters, there is one updated pic to show this.

$17,999 OBO, and could deliver to NY if needed.

Here is a link to the pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/benpearson05/9002#

You can call me on (321) 401 6269 if you are interested - Sorry to hijack your thread, but it sounded just like what you are looking for.
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:22 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Or you could spend $500 less and get a NAS truck with a few more miles, but with lots of valuable extras.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...099548638.html
Attached Images

Old December 11th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Why waste time with the crappy RV8 and drafty, ugly black soft top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Or you could spend $500 less and get a NAS truck with a few more miles, but with lots of valuable extras.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...099548638.html
Old December 11th, 2010, 10:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Why waste time with the crappy RV8 and drafty, ugly black soft top?
Why? Pretty sure that RV8 sold in less time than any of these other options.

Also, you've been in the game longer than I, but I've not known a Defender that wasn't "drafty".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags