1984 Defender 110 power steering line washer/seal (low pressure side) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Question 1984 Defender 110 power steering line washer/seal (low pressure side)

I have air getting into my power steering system. I'm pretty sure it's on the low pressure side where the line from the reservoir meets the pump. I replaced the rubber on the low pressure side, and removed and inspected the high pressure line. It was made in 1999 and looks in great shape so believe it is ok (and i think sicne there are no leaks and air is getting in, not fluid getting out, that this is not to blame.

I am not sure what kind of seal I am supposed to have where the low pressure line meets the pump. Right now under the round head, there is a square edged seal sitting in a channel around the hole. It looks like it has compressed over time and could be replaced. There is no washer/seal on the top side of the round housing between the bolt and the housing and I assume there should be one - one of those metal washers with a inner rubber seal built in I assume.

Does anyone know what should be there, and how to source them? I'm going to try some right stuff today, but would really like to get the right seals on it.

thanks,
charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	17939  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

looks like a "banjo" fitting and it should have a copper washer either side of the fitting. one between the bolt and the fitting and one between the fitting and the pump.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

I don't have that type of fitting on my power steering (which I now have) but I have 'em on my fuel filter. As Don says, just flat copper washers on both sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Thanks guys. I nearly grabbed an assortment of copper washers when at autozone this weekend too. Will try that.

thanks,
charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 1984, defender 110