1984 90 cage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 27th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Korongo
Cameron Bell
1984 Defender 90, 1988 Defender 110

Registry
1984 90 cage

Hello, I'm taking my '84 90 in at the end of the week to get a cage, bumpers and sliders built at a custom fab shop here in Texas. I think I'm going to have a new rear crossmember made that comes out, as opposed to the tube bolt on bumper that you see on NAS trucks. Any suggestions? I think I'm going to make the cage sit on the interior so the hard top can go on in the winter. I prefer a soft top but I think matching one up would be difficult. Also, does anyone think there would be a market for Defender sliders, bumpers, or cages here in Texas. Since we're kind of using my Landy as the guinea pig it would be easy to replicate after mine is done. I attached a pic I found of a cage on a land cruiser that I think I might make mine similar to. Thanks for your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FJ40_Roll_Cage_and_Rack.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	56586  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Find somebody in the area to meet up with you that has a well equipped truck before you start building stuff.

That cage on the Toyota is nasty.
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM
egor
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90

Registry
The closer it looks to the NAS cages, the more you'll sell. I might buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

you need to talk to Wolf he does some good fab. search through the threads here, no sense reinventing the wheel !?!
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Korongo
Cameron Bell
1984 Defender 90, 1988 Defender 110

Registry
Hello, the Defenders I've seen around here have been mostly NAS, and the one's that aren't have been hard tops with no cages... Is "nasty" good, or bad?
I'll check out wolf fab!
I thought about trying to do a cage on the rails like the NAS but since I think getting the soft top to fit may be a problem I'm thinking I'll just fit it on the inside like the cruiser pic I posted. Not sure if the standard jump seats will fit but we're making some new ones custom anyway. I will post pics as I go. Think I'm going to keep the sliders like the ones you normally see. Front bumper similar to ARB just a little different.
I agree about reinventing the wheel! I'm sure this has been done a million times. I just haven't seen a lot of custom cage pics here in the states.

------ Follow up post added August 27th, 2012 01:48 PM ------

Wolf Fabrications Stealth Rack is really sharp!
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:32 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I do not like the style of that toyota cage. There needs to be some foam to protect your melon, and it takes up a lot of leg room. Also it does not follow any of the lines of the truck. I think you might consider just having a nice hoop set that is re-enforced.

Look at this one:
http://www.safetydevices.com/expedit.../#!prettyPhoto

Email Stephen at Safari Parts in Orlando get you a quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1984, 90, cage