18-Wheeler Should be Banned from the Road - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2010, 11:53 AM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

18-Wheeler Should be Banned from the Road

Just because last night one through up a rock that hit my windshield. Now I need a new widshield. My question is Elite/Safelite Autoglass a good place to get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Get a heated windshield.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was @ the Baltimore Marine Terminal picking up a truck for a board member here yesterday. @ the entrance to the container portion of the port a trailer/carriage with a 40ft container on it had come unhitched from the tractor. The trailer was listing @ a 45 degree angle with the left side axle wheels 3 ft in the air. The right side tires were pinched into the curb and the front corner of the carriage/trailer was resting on the right side rear tires of the tractor-the curb appeared to be all that was keeping it from turning over. Looked like one hell of a mess to correct. Anyone familiar with the area will tell you its is extremely rough pavement-ie 15-20mph but posted @45. Looked like this cowboy was hauling a$$ and the road was so rough the trailer pin came out of the saddle on the tractor-think about that one. The only connection between the truck and trailer was the air lines. Glad I was able to get out of there before they shut it down and brought in a crane.

Feel sorry for whomever had cargo in that container.....the driver obviuosly could have cared less.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
Safelite is coming out to do mine on friday. ill let you know. $50 deductible or i would have gone heated
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:01 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

are there other options for a heated window besides RN's $800 one?
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Douglas, I found it's cheaper to order the glass and gasket from AB and pay shipping than get it locally. And it's easy to install with a little soap, a rope and a helping hand.
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

For some reason everyone says to get a heated windshield when i can never see the reason why. I have yet to get snow or even ice on my windshield. Its too damn straight up and down to collect anything on it. and with the rollbar above it it protects it from snow.

Get the one from AB.

Unless you guys have insane weather where you are, I have yet to need a heated one and I live in the Northeast.
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:55 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

what other options are there for the heated windscreen besides rn
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:18 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

If you get a protective layer applied to the new windscreen it will do much better against rock hits. Clearplex is one brand, it can also be peeled and replaced every 4-5 years to get rid of any sandblasting effect.

What I'm more interested in is cutting down the reflection on the inside of the windscreen and rear door glass, right now it's the worst of any vehicle I've ever been in.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah I walked right into that one didn't I!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Heated windscreens have an appeal to those of us with trucks with crappy demisters and soft tops that allow moisture to build up easily on the inside.
Sterling, VA
Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:59 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

I'm not sure how much the going rate is at AB, but I went to the local glass shop (Jones Paint and Glass here in Utah) and they did it for something like $185 installed and custom cut with the necessary new gasket. Since it's just flat glass, it's really easy to cut rather than go through the hassle of ordering one. Back before cars had curved glass, that's how they did all of them... just measure, cut the glass to fit, install, done.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 08:15 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I agree if you live somewhere where they actually can do and make things you are better off trying a local shop. I live in white collar suburbia. You just get a new car every 2-3 years and don't work on or fix anything here. Madness. Glass shops wanted almost as much as the dealer, which iirc was about $500 for the glass alone.
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:13 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I took mine to the SafeLite on North Academy. I had to schedule and appointment and wait while they did it. Took maybe 45 minutes but they removed mine, and cut a new one using the old one as a pattern. Cost $200 total. That was a couple of years ago.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel