18" Kahn wheels on RN site - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 29th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS
18" Kahn wheels on RN site

If I get a 33" tire on an 18" wheel is there any major off road degradation compared to a 33" tire on a 16" wheel. I do medium off roading but I'm not exposing my truck to serious peril.

And the real question: is there a big brake kit available if I go to an 18" wheel? Based on some of the European sites it looks like it's possible to get a 6 pot alcon front caliper in but it's not clear.

Old November 29th, 2013, 12:48 AM
I suppose your off road ability will be limited by your tire choices and your willingness to rash a $550 wheel.

As far as big brakes, anything is possible. My guess on the Alcon kit is it's going to be north of $5000.

I have a set of AP racing 6 pots in the garage and two sets of rotors 14" and 13.5" might be interesting to measure out.

The D110 calipers are mounted with bolts through two eye tabs and whatever 6 pot caliper you get will likely be a radial mount. Axial to radial mount brackets are fairly easy to make. Selecting an appropriate two piece rotor will not be difficult with some so so accurate measurements with a steel scale. Oh and you might need a bigger master cylinder (I'm not sure what the surface area of the defender piston is).

I'll do it for $3500 shipped with a $600 deposit and a liability waiver for my bracket
Lemmings as you know them are a Disney fabricated lie. The truth is out there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

wheel, wheels