17" rims - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Jase
Jase
pending

17" rims

I'm tied of buying 15" or 16" tires for my rovers; 17" seem to be the new 15" and everything else I own runs 17". I don't technically need a beadlock but it seems most 17" are b-lock by design. Does anyone have any experience with the following wheels for general purpose; offroading and day to day activities. I probably drive the truck 5K per year.

Walker Evans 17"
TrailReady 17"
Raceline 17"
KMC 17"
BTR 17"

I believe BTR and WE have street-locks but I'm curious about B-locks for all around use.

Any thoughts are apperciated,
Jase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I had some special 17" bead-look wheels and bead-lock wheels made by Trail Ready. They are hub centric and use the stock D90 lug nuts (not the steel lug nuts). We are still working out some spacers for the bead-lock wheels so there is no gap between the wheel and the ring, but they look good
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I ran 15" Allieds for a while, balanced with plastic BBs and were acceptable on the road. I thought they could have been built a bit beefier.
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Wolf wheels are about the toughest wheels you can put on a Land Rover, and are cheap comparatively. I can't fathom why anyone would switch from 16 to 17.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Here is a photo of my 17" Trail Ready wheel. (BTW- That is a salisbury axle.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailReadyWheel01.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	21369  
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist
Wolf wheels are about the toughest wheels you can put on a Land Rover, and are cheap comparatively. I can't fathom why anyone would switch from 16 to 17.
+1. What follows is, admittedly, a rant.

It's an issue of sidewall, right? You want to have some sidewall height left after airing down in order to protect the rims. The bigger the rim, the less sidewall, and the less protection for the rim while off road. I guess it's no big deal if you don't drive off road. When I was a kid, I would chafe at the sight of a little old lady driving a Porsche, because I knew that that car, which I lusted after, would never be used to its full potential. Likewise, these days when I see a nice SUV with huge rims on it, I cringe. You might be saying to yourself "But Spalding, you've got the rims you want on your truck, why do you care what other people do?" Ordinarily I try to maintain that live-and-let-live attitude. But the real tragedy of the situation is that tire manufacturers are now favoring those larger rim sizes. 14" off road tires are practically extinct, the selection of 15's is rapidly dwindling, and 16's will be next. An otherwise capable SUV with huge rims on it just says "Fail." IMHO, of course.

End of rant.

Edit: Hoosier, with those elephantine tires, your 17" rims get a pass. No shortage of sidewall there. More like a shortage of wheel well.
Old September 7th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Also you need to remember that when you air down - you have an extra inch of ground clearance with 17" versus 15" wheels. That's why moving to 17" wheels makes sense for the off-roader. I stuck with 15" wheels for years, because they were a common size that could be found in non-metropolitan areas. And I personally think 35s (and probably 33s) have sufficient rubber to protect the wheels when aired down.

Follow-up Post:

As far as the wheel well, they tuck up and in beautifully
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
they tuck up and in beautifully
Excellent!
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

[QUOTE=Hoosier]Also you need to remember that when you air down - you have an extra inch of ground clearance with 17" versus 15" wheels.

Ummmmmm, care to explain?
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

If your tires are aired down and the same amount of rubber is between the ground and the rim of the wheel - then it's 7.5" + rubber thickness versus 8.5" + rubber thickness or 1" more for the 17" wheels
One could argue that 15psi on the different tires are different thicknesses, but hard core you're going down to where it's pretty flat (you want the tire wrapping around rocks) and in that situation, the 17" wheels should provide extra ground clearance
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

Quote:
Here is a photo of my 17" Trail Ready wheel. (BTW- That is a salisbury axle.)
Hoosier, thanks for the note and the photo. I'll probably send you a PM to get some details.

To explain myself to those that don't understand my logic. I'll run no less that a 35" on the 17". With a 35 to 37 tire I'll have plenty of sidewall. The counter arguement would be that too much sidewall is also bad as it creates squirm. Not that squirm is a concern for me.

With 17s you have many more size options than you have with 16s or 15s. You also have more load options with 17 than 16. Large 16" tires are primarily Ds and Es. With 17s you have options from C to E. Having run Es, I like a lower load range on a Defender. Its also a lot easier for me to move 17s from one vehicle to another, 15 and 16 are too small for my applications. Thus 17"s

Any other thougths for recommendations are appreciated
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

Quote:
If your tires are aired down and the same amount of rubber is between the ground and the rim of the wheel - then it's 7.5" + rubber thickness versus 8.5" + rubber thickness or 1" more for the 17" wheels
The only flaw there is that for a given contact patch area, which is what it's all about, you won't have the same amount of rubber between the ground and the wheel, assuming you have tires of equal OD.
And why are you comparing 15" to 17"? How many people run 15" wheels on Defenders?
I would think 16" to 17" would be a little more real world.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Actually, I only run 16" tires on my 110 crewcab. I've run 15" wheels for years because way back when, 15" tires were easier to find - especially 35"+. One year I ended up buying a used 35" tire in Leadville from a jeep guy after I lost mine because of a railroad spike. Believe or not, there was a time when a lot of us used 15" wheels.
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have 15's on my ST... and 16's on my SW.

Old September 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
One could argue that 15psi on the different tires are different thicknesses, but hard core you're going down to where it's pretty flat (you want the tire wrapping around rocks) and in that situation, the 17" wheels should provide extra ground clearance

OMFG.....

You are so confused.

The tire diameter is all that matters, not the rim diameter.
Old September 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

I'm not saying people don't run 15's, they were pretty common in the 70's (though even then I was running 16's on my Land Rovers). But I'd bet most Defender wheels people are looking to change out are 16's.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka
97 D90, 05 LR3, 95 RRC LWB

I also have the trail ready HD 17s beadlocks, and I love them.. they look amazing and fit very well. Trail ready actually machines the lug holes to fit the stock rover huge ass lugnut. mine are also a 3.5 backspace.....

350 a rim is big bite....

95 RRC LWB-- DD
97 D90 37 " krawlers, coilovers, beadlocks, stretched
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Moab rally vids 2010
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Also you need to remember that when you air down - you have an extra inch of ground clearance with 17" versus 15" wheels. That's why moving to 17" wheels makes sense for the off-roader. I stuck with 15" wheels for years, because they were a common size that could be found in non-metropolitan areas. And I personally think 35s (and probably 33s) have sufficient rubber to protect the wheels when aired down.

Follow-up Post:

As far as the wheel well, they tuck up and in beautifully
Your not right, on any of that.

The WE are my fave.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist
I'm not saying people don't run 15's, they were pretty common in the 70's (though even then I was running 16's on my Land Rovers). But I'd bet most Defender wheels people are looking to change out are 16's.
I run 40's mounted on 15's. Am I retro? Or is it because it is cheaper, lighter, and when run with a stiff side wall tire, works crazy well?

Retro.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I run 40's mounted on 15's. Am I retro? Or is it because it is cheaper, lighter, and when run with a stiff side wall tire, works crazy well?

Retro.
Are they really lighter? I went to larger wheels on my 930, because the combination (larger wheel/less rubber) was lighter.
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Are they really lighter? I went to larger wheels on my 930, because the combination (larger wheel/less rubber) was lighter.
Yes.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rims