15A Fuse keeps blowing. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:13 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenkush View Post
Roger that on the brake control. I'm only using it to get the truck in gear.

Wouln't corrosion on the light sockets cause the fuse to blow when the brakes are applied? My fuse blows as soon as the key is turned?

Thanks
Looking for a short is a PITA... It's the same as looking for a needle in a haystack.

The brakes will not turn on without the ignition turned. Unless someone re-wired it.

Check the Brake Pedal Switch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Did you recently pull out one or both of the turn signal bases or disconnect them from the wiring harness and reconnect them?

One huge problem with these Prince of Darkness style turn signal bases is that they make it look like polarity doesn't matter, but actually one wire HAS to be ground because it grounds to the chassis via the screws.

If the wiring for the signal bases is reversed, then you have ground connected directly to positive and that means very excited electrons.
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:53 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

[QUOTE=rrc.swb;300292]Looking for a short is a PITA... It's the same as looking for a needle in a haystack.[QUOTE]

That's why God invented the short circuit finder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:58 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Did you recently pull out one or both of the turn signal bases or disconnect them from the wiring harness and reconnect them?

One huge problem with these Prince of Darkness style turn signal bases is that they make it look like polarity doesn't matter, but actually one wire HAS to be ground because it grounds to the chassis via the screws.

If the wiring for the signal bases is reversed, then you have ground connected directly to positive and that means very excited electrons.
I thought of that too... That was the problem on my truck.

The circuit is open and only closes when the brake switch is engaged.

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenkush View Post
Roger that on the brake control. I'm only using it to get the truck in gear.

Wouln't corrosion on the light sockets cause the fuse to blow when the brakes are applied? My fuse blows as soon as the key is turned?

Thanks
So there is a short that goes hot as soon as the ignition is on and the fuse blows, you just have to be methodical, start at one end and work along, assume nothing, check everything, rust, dirty water Lucas electrics will all cause shorts.
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:35 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

This !!!

Thank you! KK! The reason why it blew is because the rear driver's side brake light lamp housing was full of water, the connectors having rotted as a result. We got those fuses that light up when they blow (really useful, them!) and only by chance with my son standing behind the vehicle while I backed it out of the garage and applying the brakes did he notice the brake light not illuminating.

Sometimes it pays to work in teams! Ha ha!

Anyhow, I'm going to bite the bullet and get myself a set of LED lights for the back. While I was checking the connectors, it is obvious that it's not only the bulb-side connectors that need changing out but the receiving-side too. Anyone know if the LED sets have these included or will I need to replace these with stock connectors?

Thanks for everyone's input and help. I'll copy this reply to the other post just so that there is a link between these two helpful posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
The red arrow is pointing to the slot where the 15A fuse would go that I have to keep replacing.... I am going to try and replace the Flasher Relay today and see if that gets the flashers working, I still need to figure what is popping the fuse.
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
It could be a corroded bulb holder too and that toasted the relay. I would check/replace them as they are a common, very common failure point on 95/97s (which is why I like 1994 lights).

Ron

I'd agree with this, unless you have those waterproof boot assemblies for the rears lights, corrosion is inevitable.
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:14 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Glad you got it figured out!
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:19 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

I love you in a very manly way! Would you be willing to accept a big bear hug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
Glad you got it figured out!
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:21 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
hahaha all good.. just send me a bottle of Walker Blue.. call it even
Old February 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
That took a while to sort out
Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:00 PM
new110owner
Mike
1985 110

Land Rover 110 Front Wiper Fuse blowing...

I did some home work and thought that replacing the wiper park switch might solve this new problem. I first noticed that the wipers were left on form more than 20 minutes when raining would run off the edge of the windshield recently when they had not done this before. When this would happen the wipers still worked and the fuse was not blowing.

Before I installed the new park switch if I put a new fuse in and turned the key to the on position and then turned on the wipers to test them and they would work fine both on low and high speeds. Then, if I started the car up the fuse would blow as the wipers would not work again.

Once I installed the new park switch the same thing happened except now the wipers only work on low speed. When switched to the higher speed they would just turn off and return to the usual position on the windshield. If you start the truck they fuse seems to blow. Same are before I put the new park switch in.

Does the fact that the higher speed is not longer working mean that I should replace the wiper motor first or does it mean I should replace the Wiper arm switch?

Can I assume that even though that backup light is on the same fuse that based on the facts above that I do not need to focus on that as the cause of the fuse blowing?

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Old June 11th, 2017, 06:16 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Start at one end, check everything, assume nothing, there will be a shorting wire, corrosion, dirt somewhere. My wipers/washers were playing up, blowing the fuse on start-up turned out to be a short to the inner wing on the loom to the washer pump.
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:23 PM
new110owner
Mike
1985 110

I am going to check the washer pump wiring now. I have not done that.

Today, I did the following:

I disconnected the wiper switch power supply in the steering column. Then I switched the key to the on position. I checked the back up light and and it is working. I did the same again and then the fuse blew.

I do not think it is the back up light wiring. I can't be the wiper switch I disconnected so I think it is the wiper motor itself. I replaced the park switch and that did not fix it and now only one speed works on the motor since I put the new wiper park switch on the motor.

I am going to order a motor, if I can not find a problem with the wiper pump wiring.
Old June 12th, 2017, 04:40 PM
new110owner
Mike
1985 110

Does anyone have anything to add that would be helpful after reading the prior post? I want to get this fixed before I take the 110 on a week long camping trip.

Thanks in advance!
Old June 12th, 2017, 04:54 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Had same kind of problems. My wire harness inside the frame toward the back of the truck had frayed.
Also a similar problem here. Back behind the driver's side rear speaker where the wire loom goes through the body the insulation of one wire had been rubbed off and was arcing out against the body. I would turn on the blinkers and the fuse would pop.

B
Old June 12th, 2017, 06:36 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
Also a similar problem here. Back behind the driver's side rear speaker where the wire loom goes through the body the insulation of one wire had been rubbed off and was arcing out against the body. I would turn on the blinkers and the fuse would pop. B
If you haven't yet check out defenders NW 'clean bum' rear wiring kit.

Greatly cleans up the rear lighting wiring with minimal work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wing