12V Socket Installation Tips - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 19th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
12V Socket Installation Tips

Getting ready to install some 12V sockets in my old 110, which hasn't had any yet. I'm planning on putting them in the center dash fascia plate with the clock and rear wash/wipe switch.

I've never done vehicle electrical wiring or anything like this, so I was wondering if anyone here could share their advice and suggestions. If anyone has instructions, that would be awesome. I've searched the web and come up with several threads from outside forums, but all of their work looks cheap and shitty.

I'd like to do this right the first time. I'm ready to learn. Thanks in advance.

- Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2012, 08:40 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Use a decent power socket is the 1st thing. It will look better and also plugs will fit and stay in it better. This one for example:

http://www.otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=12VRC.OEM

But you can get them many places.

Probably the easiest method is to use the trucks wiring if you don’t plan to run any really heavy loads. Look in the bundle of wires behind your clock and there should already be wires to feed a cig lighter. You just need the Power and Ground. Check to make sure you have the right one (I don’t have the wiring diag for your truck to hand or I would give you the wires colors) by removing the fuse labeled for the cig lighter and making sure the power goes dead in the wire you have found.

Plug it in. If t has the wrong contacts then you may need to switch them out or make an adaptor. The new socket uses blade style connectors, the old LR wires may have a bullet on the power.

Job done.

If you want to run heavier loads and you are concerned the truck wiring won’t cut it then it gets a little more in depth as you will need to run new wires.

HTH

Ian
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Thanks for the tips, Ian. I've got the Sutars sockets from Mud UK. I'll look behind the clock and see if I have any existing wires for a cigarette lighter, and I'll check the fuse diagram on my fuse panel cover to see if there is an indication as well. Otherwise, I'll be running new wires.

Since I'm planning on installing more than one socket, would it be a good idea to run new wires anyways?

- Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2012, 08:53 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Since I'm planning on installing more than one socket, would it be a good idea to run new wires anyways?

Yes it would. The truck wiring wont cope with that. If you run new wires then you need to decide if you want the power sockets switched with the key or not. Normally the LR ones are switched. If that is fine then you could hook up a relay switched by the truck wires and fed from the battery (with a fuse) or a spare existing fuse that gets constant power.

Or you could just run new wires back to the battery with a fuse in line for constant power. Risk of draining the battery that way though.
Old October 20th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
I pulled the center dash fascia plate out and checked the wiring back there. Sure enough, there were three wires not being used. A ground, red, and green wire. The red wire provided power when the lights were on and the green provides power when the truck is running. Looks like this was for the standard lighted cigarette lighter socket. Hooked the green and ground up to one of the Sutars 12V sockets and plugged in my Garmin and it works!

Now I just need to find, or fabricate, and appropriate center dash fascia plate to fit the 12V socket. My current fascia is cut for two instruments and the rear/wash wipe. Thanks for the tip, Ian.

- Jon
Old October 20th, 2012, 09:41 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
No problem. Glad the easy option worked out for you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
installation