12.5" tire on a 7" rim? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 18th, 2005, 09:20 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

12.5" tire on a 7" rim?

I've got a set of 15x7 rims that I currently have 10.5" super swampers on, and I'm thinking of switching to a 33x12.5 tire (tired of the on-road bias ply behavior, looking for something just a little milder, and most are in the 12.5" size). I know the recommendations for 12.5" tires are like 8-10" wide rims, but what's the going logic on running them on 7" wide rims?

I actually have a set of 15x8's, but they're a little more beat up (bought them used) and I'm pretty sure at least 1 or 2 of them aren't quite round. I was going to take them to the local tire shop and have them check the run out, but the 15x7's I've got are brand new and I know I wouldn't have a problem if the tires will fit ok. If the 7's will work fine, I figure I can mount the swampers on the older 15x8's, and sell them as a nice off road tire package.

As an aside, I'm thinking of running the SS Trxus MT, 33x12.5 15. Not to start a tire debate, but does anyone with experience have thoughts on them? Quite a few folks up in the northeast here have good things to say about them, and they're quite a bit cheaper then the BFG/MTR alternative. I've only heard they can be tough to balance, but what swamper isn't?

Thanks for any opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

15x7 is a-okay. Tire might crown a bit, so you might run the PSI a tiny bit low, but no biggie. Just make sure the offset is enough so you can turn.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:45 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

thanks Dave, but what's a suitable offset? The backspacing on the 7" rims is 4.25" (they're GCR American Racing steels). I know the 8" rims have a backspacing of 4", so these 7's will bring the tires a bit closer to the truck. I guess I'll see how close they are at full turn with the 10.5 swampers, and try to get an idea on a wider tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't like those SS Trxus MT, I have seen a set or 2 in action and you BFG MT's and LTBs are a better tire as far as I am concerned. The Trxus didn't seem to hook up on rocks very well at all and they didn't seem to flex well either. So you are going for 3 sets of tires now?
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:10 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Wow mike, after reading all I can find on them, that's the first I've heard someone say that about them. Interesting. I've read the soft compound and siping make them pretty good on rocks. My LTB's don't flex until I've got less then 10 psi in them, by the way! But that bias ply is one tough tire.

I think I'm going to ditch the stock alloys with the BFG 255x85s, assuming I'm happy with the on-road performance of whatever tire I buy. After running the swampers, I just don't like the look of the alloys anymore. Too wimpy. I'm trying to decide if I should keep the swampers on the old beat up rims for off road only, which I could use when I trailer the truck, or just sell them too if the new tires are good enough off road. Depends on what I could get for them I suppose.

thanks for the thoughts.
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have heard about 50/50 on them, have a look over in the land rover section on Pirate, thats where I have seen the 50/50 slit on who like them. And I know the swampers need less then 10 psi but thats have the fun!
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by souza
thanks Dave, but what's a suitable offset? The backspacing on the 7" rims is 4.25" (they're GCR American Racing steels). I know the 8" rims have a backspacing of 4", so these 7's will bring the tires a bit closer to the truck. I guess I'll see how close they are at full turn with the 10.5 swampers, and try to get an idea on a wider tire.
Your turning radius might be limited a good bit. I run a 12.5 on an 8in with 3in backspacing and I still hit the radius arms. With those wheels you are 1.25in farther in with more tire side buldge due to the 7in rim. I would just mount one and see if you can live with it. As far as safety and tire life, you are fine though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:22 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jorge is running 36x12.5 Swampers on wolf rims that are are something like 16x6 I think and they fit fine Dave.... I forget which swamper he is running though...
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:43 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Dave I have those tires on the disco and took them in the mountains on wet rocks and I thought they were great, and I am running skinny 235 85s.
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:09 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

thanks for the input guys. Dave, I've still got my steering stops set in the factory position, for the 5.375" of backspacing on the alloy, so hopefully it wouldn't be any worse than that? BFG has a 33x10.5 tire, maybe that should be the way I go. I'm just tired of BFGs, and I think they suck on snow and rocks. decisions, decisions, LOL

Follow-up Post:

FYI, an old post about tires and wheel sizes from back in the twist-off days, pretty helpful:

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/wheels.htm
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Why not SSRs? Good in mud, snow and rock and their radials.
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:19 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Well, price a little. But I mostly I thought they might still be too aggressive. As you know, I haven't been doing much wheeling lately, and I don't think that'll change any time soon. It's a consideration though. I love the LTB's right up to about 50 MPH. And I think they're AWESOME off road. It's just that with them on, I tend to not drive it much on the street, and I don't want it to sit and just rot.

I've been really trying to drive it around more lately, and I've almost broken down and put the alloys back on. Now that's desperate! But then when I can actually make a trail ride, I feel like I want to put the SS back on. I didn't put them on twice last year and I regretted it both times. I blame two dents on those BFG's, one on slick rocks, one on not enough width (at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it )

I think Frank has a set of SSR's in the 33x12.5. Might be on 16" though. I wonder if he got new wheels when you moved up to his 36s... Hmmm...
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:33 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I had 35 BFG mudís on 15X7 and it was fine. I'm with Mike on the truxs, they are not worth it. I had a magazine editor with me and he has seen few on the trail and he said they were having hard time getting traction on rocks. Our wimpy 255/85 out performed a 34X10.5 Truxs on every obstacle. There was also a guy with a disco that I wheeled with twice had 235/85 and he just can not wait for them to wear down so he can get a different tires. I hope I didnít trash those tires
Old August 19th, 2005, 12:44 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Ah crap, you guys are killing me. Wait a sec, the Trxus doesn't come in a 34x10.5! HA! Gotcha!
Thanks for the input Yousef.

Follow-up Post:

You've got me thinking about that SSR now Mike. You think I could stuff some 35x10.5 tire up there? Or would I need more lift? I think my 34's rub in the rear, but only above the tire, perhaps a longer bump stop.
Old August 19th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Just let them rub! I would say that the SSR's are just as noisy on the road as the LTBs you have now.
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Noise isnt' the problem, although I'd find it hard to believe anything is louder or even as loud as the LTB's. What I don't like is all the vibration and steering wobble. That just can't be good for the truck. Some of its just flat spotting that goes away, but even after 20+ minutes, I still get a lot of vibration at speed, it comes and goes. If SSR's would solve that, and still kick ass off road, they might be perfect. I'm not even that concerned about tire wear, since I tow to all the long distance spots anyway. 35x10.5... sounds nice.
Old August 19th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

12.5s on a 7" rim will be fine. I've run a number of 12.5s on 7" rims (both 15 and 16) with good success. In fact, I've run the 15x7 GCR rims with 12.5 and been prefect happy with wear and turning radius.

TRXus - I have had a set of 35/12.5/16 MTs and would not buy them again. They were soft, made a good road tire but all the center lugs tore. The sipes in the middle of each lug ripped to the outside of the lug.

SSR - I've had a set of 35/12.5/15 and would not buy them as a dual function tire. Good offroad but awful on road.

Good luck deciphering everyone opinions

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire