110 Won't Start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 13th, 2016, 10:25 AM
bandmmgee
Mitch McGee
1986 One Ten

110 Won't Start

I have an '86 110 (300tdi) that I'm having trouble getting to start. Used to start up fine first try. Let it sit a couple of weeks and was really slow to turn over first time - then only start half the time (after slow start), now just won't turn over at all.

Some notes:
1. It started after I noticed a rear blinker/brake issue only when braking. Also only an issue some of the time. Do I have a short?

2. Would only start in neutral or after shifting gears. Neutral safety switch issue?

3. I put the battery on a charger and it seems fine and still having the same issue. Starter?

I have searched threads, but each situation is a little different and I am not technical enough to know where to start. Any advice on what you would try first would be very appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2016, 10:45 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

1. Only someone laying hands can determine if you have a short, but more than likely this is a lighting ground issue, not a short.

2. This vehicle does not have a neutral safety switch.

3. If the battery is good, the issue could be the main ground cable or the starter itself.
If it's the starter, we have both 2.2KW and 3.1 KW models available.
The 3.1 KW is a little more costly, bit will spin the engine much faster than the original 2.2 KW unit.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2016, 10:45 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
I would follow the steps outlined in this video. After reading your post, it sounds like a bad battery or ground but without proper testing...

Old October 13th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

A battery can also take a charge but when amps are needed it is dead. Usually called a flat battery.

I'd see if it will start with a jump easily. Then get it to a autozone or similar and have the battery tested. If it passes check the engine/batt grounds and positive connections on the starter and alt.
Old October 13th, 2016, 12:46 PM
bandmmgee
Mitch McGee
1986 One Ten

Thank you all for the feedback. I will start with the battery and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, start