Defender Source Forum banner

110 Won't Start

Tags
110 start
797 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bandmmgee 
#1 ·
I have an '86 110 (300tdi) that I'm having trouble getting to start. Used to start up fine first try. Let it sit a couple of weeks and was really slow to turn over first time - then only start half the time (after slow start), now just won't turn over at all.

Some notes:
1. It started after I noticed a rear blinker/brake issue only when braking. Also only an issue some of the time. Do I have a short?

2. Would only start in neutral or after shifting gears. Neutral safety switch issue?

3. I put the battery on a charger and it seems fine and still having the same issue. Starter?

I have searched threads, but each situation is a little different and I am not technical enough to know where to start. Any advice on what you would try first would be very appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
1. Only someone laying hands can determine if you have a short, but more than likely this is a lighting ground issue, not a short.

2. This vehicle does not have a neutral safety switch.

3. If the battery is good, the issue could be the main ground cable or the starter itself.
If it's the starter, we have both 2.2KW and 3.1 KW models available.
The 3.1 KW is a little more costly, bit will spin the engine much faster than the original 2.2 KW unit.

#4 ·
A battery can also take a charge but when amps are needed it is dead. Usually called a flat battery.

I'd see if it will start with a jump easily. Then get it to a autozone or similar and have the battery tested. If it passes check the engine/batt grounds and positive connections on the starter and alt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.