110 sways right on acceleration left on overrun - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 25th, 2014, 08:24 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

110 sways right on acceleration left on overrun

In the evenings have been helping a local guy fix his 110 that drifts all over the road.
He tightened a loose wheel bearing that was recently replaced.
Replaced a tie rod end full of play.
We adjusted the steering box and tightened the lower steering control arm that was loose. The splines looked good.
The steering and front end have little play now.
This weekend well get it on the lift to see the suspension.
During the midnight test drive, the entire vehicle will pull right on acceleration and pull left on overrun.
The result is a 110 that nearly changes lanes when working the accelerator petal with the steering held straight.
Very very dangerous to drive.
Anyone have any suggestions as to our inspection process when we have it up in the air.
What to inspect and where to pull.
We mostly do engine conversions and only occasionally dip into suspension work.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2014, 09:13 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
A bushing is split or missing all together on your trailing arm.
Old April 25th, 2014, 11:19 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
A bushing is split or missing all together on your trailing arm.
I'd be inclined to agree. Sounds like how Huff typically drives home from a weekend at Rausch.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
All bushing related. After the Cove I lost an entire rear trailing arm to frame bushing. The truck was SCARY to drive!

Semper Fi!
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

One mine it was caused by a loose bolt through the bushing at the axle on one side. Bolt had wear on it from the repeated movement so I replaced it and tightened it real tight. All good now.
Old April 26th, 2014, 06:37 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

We'll let you know the culprit when we get it up on the lift.
It sure feels like the rear end is swaying back and forth.
Thanks for the tips.

In an hour am off to pull an OM617 and also a complete engine, petal assembly, shifter, linkage, and manual transmission out of a 240D.
We need the parts for the diesel conversion in our 450SL...
Can't wait to get that 4.5 liter V8 out of the 450SL.
If it doesn't smell like diesel, I don't really like working on it.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old April 26th, 2014, 08:17 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Robert - so you are doing a OM617 and Merc manual into a 450sl? Sounds pretty cool!
Old April 26th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I have this problem too. Realized it on the interstate on way home from Uwharrie. All bushings appear to be in place but most are rather tired looking. Curious to see what fixes it for you Robert
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:19 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Had this on a disco and 90 both tines it was the trailing arm bushing on the frame end. Check all of the suspension bushes
Old April 26th, 2014, 06:06 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

You mean this isn't normal? My 110 had this issue when I bought it and new trailing arm bushings helped but it made the truck more "twitchy" as in it wants to change lanes at the blow of wind or crack in road.
Old April 26th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Better check this on my 90, I thought it was because of my Detroit. But it does seem to rear steer more than it used to.
Old April 27th, 2014, 05:32 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Well we got it up on the lift today and the suspension bushings are all mostly shot.
Some more than others, and some almost completely gone, like a half inch all around the center bolt gone.

Jeff, you could have had tired bushings that gave way under the extra strain of off-roading.
When we road together, there were a few challenging sections.
How about that Dickie Bell?

We are thinking polybush replacements...
Any experience with them, anyone?

Old April 27th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Well we got it up on the lift today and the suspension bushings are all mostly shot. Some more than others, and some almost completely gone, like a half inch all around the center bolt gone. Jeff, you could have had tired bushings that gave way under the extra strain of off-roading. When we road together, there were a few challenging sections. How about that Dickie Bell? We are thinking polybush replacements... Any experience with them, anyone?
Bushings depend on how you wheel it of course. I had some squishy (blue?) Polybush ones that squished out under extreme flex. You'll get arguments either way. I'd stick with rubber on light wheeler.

Semper Fi!
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:35 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Im a big fan of red polybush all the way around....have had zero problems offroad, and I think they're perfectly fine on-road. Nice part of the polybush vs genuine is that next time around they don't need to be pressed out of the trailing & radius arms at the axle connection points.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 27th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I've been looking into this lately as I'm probably due to do all the bushings on 2 Rovers.

I hate to say this...but why cant they just make the poly kits black??

I had a talk about this with Justin and I just dont care for blue, pink, red, yellow, or any other crazy colors.
I'm that guy that painted my OME shocks satin black because I cant stand blinging yellow shocks...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old April 28th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Robert, I have replaced several bushing sets on various Rovers. If you want them to last I would stick with the Land Rover ones. They have, on the radius arms, several rubber and metal rings in the bushing. If you want a softer ride and more flex you can go with the aftermarket blue ones. They will not last as long but do give a nice ride. They can be a bear to get out as they rust in. One trick is to burn the rubber out and then make a cut in the final metal ring. It then pops right out.
Old April 28th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I've been using old man emu yellow, haven't done everything just the rear A arm and so far it last but it does look ugly when it gets dirty and starts to oxidize.

Robert Deniro
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Given how long the factory bushings last, personally, I would replace them with Genuine bushings.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:33 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Update on "Hit Man" Bobby's ride for those of you interested or who met him at Uhwarrie.
He bought the polly bush kit with OEM for the lower front suspension arms.
The work took a lot of time, but was very easy.

Vehicle steers straight and is a nice driver.
Over the winter Bobby drove from TX to VA, then to Oregon and back to VA.
I don't know how he did it with such sloppy suspension... another example of fondness for the marque.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, ht, ac