110 SW to Crewcab conversion, are the rear tubs the same? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM
motap
neal

110 SW to Crewcab conversion, are the rear tubs the same?

I am trying to visualize a D110 5-door SW to Crewcab conversion.

Obviously the roofs are different, but is the rear tub different as well?

From pictures it looks the same, but where would the back section of the cab bolt to?

Any comments would really be appreciated, I'm trying to figure out how involved the conversion is.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2007, 09:10 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I asked George at RDS about this probably 6 months ago. He said they are completely different and converting to a crewcab would require more or less a whole new body (which he quoted me $25k on).
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Tub is the same - although I started from a 90 and lots of pieces - so I can't be certain. The trick is getting a bulkhead (George at RDS had one a while back I think) and fitting up the appropriate 110 capping and tailgate. The problem going from a rear door to a tailgate is the same as a 90 switch from SW to ST - hinges in wrong place. Send me a email address and I can send you some photos of the build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2007, 09:29 PM
motap
neal

Cool, email sent, I'm just trying to see how involved it is, seeing as how the majority of 110s for sale that are already here are SW's. Thanks!
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Smile

I started with a 90 and I don't remember it taking $25K - at least not for the body

Follow-up Post:

As an addendum - on any build get the appropriate parts catalog. Between Rovers North, Rovers Down South, and a Land Rover dealer you can get almost anything and build almost anything - it just takes time and money .
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:01 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
I started with a 90 and I don't remember it taking $25K - at least not for the body
Any chance you could do a write up of how you went about it? I`ve been looking at ways of aquiring a 110 crewcab and wasn`t sure of the best way to go about it (be it build one or have one shipped over.... etc). I thought the $25k figure was a bit rough, but George was pretty persistent about it.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
Between Rovers North, Rovers Down South, and a Land Rover dealer you can get almost anything and build almost anything - it just takes time and money .

You know, that pretty well sums up the whole maintenance/parts experience when it comes to a stateside Defender - time and money.

This past week I tried to find a replacement on/off/blower speed switch for the a/c. The repair shop couldn't get one with two attempts, Rovers North had none, and nothing was showing on the internet. After giving up on the usual routes, low and behold NAPA carried an almost identical INDAK switch meant for a Freightliner below dash unit. Same switch, slightly shorter length on the threaded piece, though. But the a/c works again, just in time for the 109 degree heat index.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can get the panels and actually convert the tub depending on how industrious you are. George had all the parts in stock one time when I was there. Any price you get from George is typically the price it would take to get a particular item on a particular day. If he doesnt have any widgets and he has to source out what you need from new stocks, the price will be higher. If he is in the middle of breaking a set of Td5's left over from a G4 challenge, then you'll pay a reasonable figure based on his cost. If George "scores" he sells the stuff on pretty quickly instead of having it sit around and waiting to get rich off it unlike some other places. So there's a lot of luck in getting the best stuff from George - and that explains why a body is 25k one day (none available, sorced as parts) or 10k (got 3 sitting in the warehouse).

http://www.roversdownsouth.com/used.htm
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

It seems I recall George had a whole crew cab body back of the front fenders for $14, including some interior pieces. Maybe that was one or two years ago. Anyone else remember those pics on his site?
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, I think there were crew cab parts on the website a year or so ago, not sure what it went for. The G4's were there as recently as March.

The best way to buy from RDS is set aside 15 grand and stay in touch with George so you can pull the trigger when something good comes up before anyone else snakes it.
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I watch George's website daily and you can tell when a new shipment arrives by new stuff showing up on the site. I think his main source is Craddocks and they are constantly breaking vehicles down shipping them out. You just have to be an opportunist and keep a lookout for what you need.

Follow-up Post:

As far as a write up, I an ending a restoration oF a D90 and when done, will post a collection of jpegs of my D90 build, my Tomcat build and my D110 build. Just don't have a lot of extra time just now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
Any chance you could do a write up of how you went about it? I`ve been looking at ways of aquiring a 110 crewcab and wasn`t sure of the best way to go about it (be it build one or have one shipped over.... etc). I thought the $25k figure was a bit rough, but George was pretty persistent about it.
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
A buddy of mine had a metal shop in Richmond make up the parts for him to do it. Give me a call if you would like his contact info.
Cheers
Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

A good friend of mine built a crewcab out of a D110 SW. The top was made from a D90 top (an early one with ribs as that is all he could find) and a pickup top. He joined the two himself and made up a custom headliner. He had a local sheetmetal shop fab up a bulkhead for the rear portion which is just in front of the old second seat brackets with a lip to the rear for the top to bolt to.. It's a very nice job that did not cost a fortune. Eric you and I are probably talking about the same truck.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2SM110.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	9637  
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:38 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Yep Mike that is the one.
Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Read me!!

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/i...topic=214743.0
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I see George has a doublecab tub for sale on his website today. It's a start

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, conversion