110 SW project, what now ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2012, 03:04 PM
ghost1001
Kevin M.
'87 110 sw, ex mod tdi

110 SW project, what now ?

Hi Guys,

New here and to defenders in general....always wanted one, so why not?

Stared with a 1987 ex mod 110 sw with a tdi and bulkhead swap from a '97, I took about as much off as i want to...frame has been washed and degreased.

Surface rust on frame but nothing too serious, plan is to POR-15 the rusty spots and Waxoil the whole thing back up again, thoughts?

Want to take it back to the original blue color and refresh the interior with new paint, trim, carpet, etc.

While I have the body off what wear items should I replace?

Any comments and experience/advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2871.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	52151   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3147.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	52152  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2012, 03:29 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost1001 View Post
While I have the body off what wear items should I replace?
The frame. maybe just kidding. They tend to rust from the inside out, so surface rust on the outside may not be the whole picture.

Welcome West Caldwell, too. We have NYC and NJ meet-ups every so often. In fact we're meeting up in the West Village NYC tomorrow morning if you want to come. Search "free photoshoot"
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:16 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
If you're not going to galvanize the frame or bulkhead, and with such easy access to everything, I would redo the clutch/pressure plate, also redo all the brake and fuel lines and maybe fuel tank if it's old and rusted. How's the rear crossmember, now is the time to weld in a new one if you need it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2012, 05:11 PM
ghost1001
Kevin M.
'87 110 sw, ex mod tdi

Points well taken, honestly the frame looks solid, but the rusting from inside out is a concern.

I was looking to work with what I have and do more of a restoration than a replacement, the bulkhead is totally solid except for right by the driver’s feet, and I will cut out and weld in new metal there.

What is the test for a solid frame? Bang on it really hard with a pointed hammer or sharp awl in rusty sports?

Was also thinking for doing all the shocks and bushings….any other rubber under maybe in the steering rack?

I also plan to pull the rear wire harness out of the frame and run it along the inside of the roof using new wire it is really crusty in spots.

Kevin
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Hi Kevin,
Congrats with your 110! Man i love that orange colour (G4).
Yes bang on the front or rear section of the frame with a pointed hammer. You probably will smash a hole in it. I was shocked to see how thin it was when it looked solid. But i agree with the rest if you are already this far in the tear down/ built i would galvanize as much as i can. So you will have a problem/ rust free 110 for year to come. The nice thing about the defenders is that you can make them the way you want!

------ Follow up post added May 25th, 2012 11:50 PM ------

Hi Kevin,
Yes bang on the front or rear section of the frame with a pointed hammer. You probably will smash a hole in it. I was shocked to see how thin it was when it looked solid. But i agree with the rest if you are already this far in the tear down/ built i would galvanize as much as i can. So you will have a problem/ rust free 110 for year to come. The nice thing about the defenders is that you can make them the way you want!

------ Follow up post added May 25th, 2012 11:52 PM ------

Hi Kevin,
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I just finished Galvanizing a 85 frame that was showing very little surface rust anywhere. I did find some rust inside the frame that I could get to with the vacuum. Had the frame dipped and all kinds of stuff came out of it. It was amazing to me how much rust was on the inside. Long story short they ended dipping the frame again in the stripping agent to try to get everything out of the frame before galvanizing it again. It really wasn't that expensive to do it and should make the frame last much longer. The real question is whether it is cheaper and easier to just get a new Galvanized frame or not? The positive thing, I guess, is it is a true 85 frame going under a true 85 truck.
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:56 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is that Julian's old truck?

Also, if you're tearing it down to that point...I'd just throw a galvy frame under it if I were you. You're doing all the work stateside so I wouldn't be concerned with it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM
ghost1001
Kevin M.
'87 110 sw, ex mod tdi

Yes it is Julians old truck....I bought it from him a couple months ago...started right up at the port and my goal was a resto for the most part.

The truck is in good shape and today I went at it with a screw driver and hammer....I was only able to punch a couple of 3/8" holes in the back bumper.....so i think I will repair the frame and bulkhead where it is needed and por-15 the surface rust and then waxoil it back up.

This truck will see light duty for the most part and I am REALLY trying to stay off the slippery slope if possible.

My goal is to spend $2-3k and have everything back together in about a month or so. I will drive it for while and then see what else may be needed.

I know know more rust may present itself in the future and if I have decided it isa "keeper" at that point I will do the galv. frame swap.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Kevin
Old July 17th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Anyone know how to get in touch with Kevin? He hasn't logged on in 2 weeks and has paid for a stainless kit but I can't get any return on requests for a mailing address to actually get it to him.
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:45 AM
ghost1001
Kevin M.
'87 110 sw, ex mod tdi

I just sent you a PM sorry about thta.

Kevin
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
ghost1001
Kevin M.
'87 110 sw, ex mod tdi

Hi Guys,

I am resurrecting this thread as I am actually trying to get this truck on the road for summer....here are a few more pictures from the teardown.

Plan is to do the rust repair where needed and give it a down and dirty paint job in white.

I did have a new rear floor section fabricated so that may be of interest to some....stay tuned. I also bought 2 new side frames as those were totally shot.

I also may do some custom roll bars inside and sew a soft top for the summer, but will focus on getting it on the road first.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2924.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	68689   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2988.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	68690  

Name:	DSCN2946.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	68691  
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Come to the happy hour tomorrow at JR Cigar in Whippany at 3:30 and we can discuss. You couldn't possibly live any closer.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43763
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Is the truck in your apartment along with a porsche?

One more pitch for taking all the steel bits off and having them dipped and galvanized. It won't cost more than $500 and it will add exponentially to the value and longevity.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:47 PM
ghost1001
Kevin M.
'87 110 sw, ex mod tdi

Thanks for the invite, my daughter has a b-day party this afternoon so I canít make it but, definitely would want to meet up this summer once the truck is road worthy.

Unfortunately, if I take this truck apart any further there will be no hope for me actually putting it back together. I feel confident that I can get it on the road and then decide to do a new frame or other upgrades, but at this point I really just want to build it back up and drive it for a while. I am not trying to be cheap but would rather spend the money down the road a little once I understand what the issues are and what upgrades would be best.

Actually, it is in my warehouse and did share the space with 3 long-hood Porsches in need of restoration that were sold to make room for finishing the 110 project.....it will share the garage with this once finished, this is what happens when I take things apart and canít put them back together:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000979.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	68768  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags