110 Suspension Question - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2013, 10:32 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Before you go all crazy, go with simple.

If BOGE is bad, replace. If ball joint is bad replace. If BOGE is bad and you don't want to deal with it, fit normal non-BOGE 110 springs. No need to fit fancy stuff unless you are carrying a ton of weight.
Good advice...

Looking at the Boge, the Strap is torn from the attach point on the frame...Would that make it not function? What does the strap do? Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2013, 11:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Strap does not seem to do anything. Never seen one intact actually. I assume it is to limit axle down travel but I am not sure how that would be needed as the shocks would do it too.

The test for the BOGE is to put a lot of weight in the back, measure the height, then go drive around and measure it again. It should recover some (not sure how much) of the lost height due to weight.
Old June 29th, 2013, 01:35 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Ours doesn't recover...When we drove the truck to Alaska, we had about 400lbs of tent and gear in the back, and the back end sagged about 2" and stayed that way during the trip. It still drove well, but the sag was very noticeable. I didn't even know it had the leveling device until I joined the forum, and read about it...I just assumed the springs were weak...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2013, 01:38 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I see you are in anchorage... I am here as well visiting a friend.. We are on our way driving around the world.. Funnily enough I'm at his place replacing the rear springs because it was sagging too much... But I am carrying a bit more load than that in my camel trophy110...
Old June 29th, 2013, 04:08 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I see you are in anchorage... I am here as well visiting a friend.. We are on our way driving around the world.. Funnily enough I'm at his place replacing the rear springs because it was sagging too much... But I am carrying a bit more load than that in my camel trophy110...
I bet you are carrying quite a load for a trip like that!! Where are you off to next? We met a cople up here last summer from France on a very long trip...I'm sure you'll love every second of it!!

I work in Anchorage and live just out of town in Eagle River...How long will you be here?
Old June 29th, 2013, 04:26 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Here for another week or so.. May go to kennicot for 4th July .. Then off to prudhoe bay and then down and up the top of the world hwy and then across Canada to lake Louise and banff and then off to Newfoundland and then to England Scotland Ireland Wales and the rest of Europe... Into Africa and South Africa to ship to west of Australia and then across Australia to the east coast and then see what happens from there..that ought a keep me busy for a while...lol..
Old June 29th, 2013, 01:53 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Sounds like an awesome trip...You'll love Dawson when you drive through there - we've ridden the motorcycle over a couple of times and it's a really neat place! We talked about heading to KennIcot for the 4th also, but were not sure just yet...we'll probably head wherever the weather looks best - gotta enjoy as much of the nice warm weather as possible during this time of the year up here - it'll be gone way too soon. Hopefully we'll run into you somewhere on the road while you're here!
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:08 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Just installed a set of the Airlift bags in the rear springs of the 110...what a huge improvement! I think the ball joint will still need to eventually be replaced, but the pop has gone away, the rear end no longer has the vague feel, and almost all of the body roll is gone. We're only running 8lbs of air in the system right now, and it feels just right (it lifted the rear about 1/2"). I think adding a few lbs of air will work well when we throw the tent on top too or have a big load in the rear. We'll see how they hold up to the usage...only time will tell, but I'm very happy with the first couple of drives! Thanks for the help
Old August 6th, 2013, 04:41 PM
GriffCA
Mark G
NAS 110

Registry
So, Sonny, I'm assuming you bought the Air Lift 1000. Do you wheel your truck at all? I'm curious what effect bags, if any, would have and whether they could be damaged with a lot of abuse, i.e. repetitive articulation.

Were they simple to install? I didn't look at the downloadable instructions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags